Calculating Charge on a Capacitor in a Circuit with a Switch

In summary, a switch is a mechanical device that is used to open or close an electrical circuit, allowing current to flow through when turned on and breaking the flow when turned off. It can be used to control multiple components in a circuit and is often necessary for turning devices on and off. Some common types of switches used in circuits include toggle switches, push-button switches, and rotary switches. To ensure proper connection, a multimeter can be used to test for continuity in the circuit.
Gillian
For the circuit shown in the figure, the switch S is suddenly closed with the capacitor uncharged. After one time constant, the charge on the capacitor is closest to:
19-20x.jpg

a) 2.0 mC
b) 0.74 mC
c) 1.0 mC
d) 1.3 mC
e) 0.00 mCRelevant Formulas
q = Q⋅(1-e-τ/R⋅C)
τ = RC

My Attempt
q = Q(1-e-τ/T)
q = (10⋅10-6)(1-e-1)
q = (10⋅10-6)(1-.36788)
q = (10⋅10-6)(0.632)
q = 6.32⋅10-6 C = 0.00632 mC

I am not sure how else I would approach this problem. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Q is not ##10^{-5}## C.

1. How does a switch work in a circuit?

A switch is a mechanical device that is used to open or close an electrical circuit. When the switch is turned on or closed, it allows current to flow through the circuit. When the switch is turned off or opened, it breaks the flow of current, turning off the circuit.

2. Can a switch be used to control multiple components in a circuit?

Yes, a switch can be used to control multiple components in a circuit. By connecting the switch in series with the components, the switch can turn them all on or off simultaneously.

3. Is it possible to have a circuit without a switch?

Yes, it is possible to have a circuit without a switch. However, a switch is a useful component for controlling the flow of current in a circuit and is often necessary for turning devices on and off.

4. What types of switches are commonly used in circuits?

Some common types of switches used in circuits include toggle switches, push-button switches, and rotary switches. Each type has its own unique way of controlling the flow of current in a circuit.

5. How can I make sure the switch in my circuit is properly connected?

To ensure that the switch in your circuit is properly connected, you can use a multimeter to test for continuity. This will help you identify any loose or faulty connections and ensure that the switch is functioning correctly in the circuit.