Calculating Constants in indefinite integral with 2 values for f.

In summary, the function f(x) = -ln(x) + \frac{x}{e-1} - \frac{1}{e-1} satisfies the given conditions of f''(x) = \frac{1}{x^2}, f(1) = 0, and f(e) = 0. By setting up a linear system using the two given values and the two integration constants, the value of c was found to be \frac{1}{e-1}, which was then used to determine the value of C.
tainted

Homework Statement

Find the function f(x) such that [itex]f''(x) = \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex], [itex]f(1) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f(e) = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int f''(x)\,dx = f'(x) + c[/itex]
[itex]\int f'(x)\,dx = f(x) + cx + C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]f''(x)= \frac{1}{x^2}[/itex]
[itex]f'(x)= \int \frac{1}{x^2}\,dx = \frac{-1}{x} + c[/itex]
[itex]f(x) = -\int \frac{1}{x} + c\,dx = -ln(x) + cx + C[/itex]

My problem is that I can get the constants to satisfy one of those requirements in the original problem, but I am having trouble getting it to satisfy both.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show some work? Might be able to find the issue. With only two data points and two constants, there shouldn't be any big issue setting both.

That is my work. That's what I've had for over an hour /facepalm
I've tried guessing some constants, but nothing has worked. I don't know how to get the constants to fit both those statements
[itex]f(1) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f(e) = 0[/itex]

All right then. What are [itex]f(1),f(e)[/itex] in terms of these constants?

I really have no clue. In terms of what constants? I haven't seen anything like this problem before. I have seen plenty where [itex] f'(e)=0 [/itex] and [itex] f(1) = 0 [/itex]or the likes, but I haven't seen them where both value were just for [itex] f [/itex]

Last edited:
itex, not itext.

In terms of the constants [itex]c, C[/itex]. You wrote [itex]f(x)[/itex] in the first post. Even though you don't know the values of [itex]c,C[/itex], you should be able to evaluate the function and get an expression in terms of these constants at [itex]x=1,e[/itex].

Alright thanks. I think that got me going in the right direction.

[itex] f(x) = -ln(x) + cx + C [/itex]
[itex] f(1) =-ln(1) + 1*c + C = 0[/itex]
[itex] f(e) = -ln(e) + e*c + C = 0[/itex]
[itex]-ln(1) + 1*c + C = -ln(e) + e*c + C [/itex]
[itex]-0 + c + C = -1 + e*c + C [/itex]
[itex]-0 + c + C = -1 + e*c + C [/itex]
[itex] c = e*c - 1 [/itex]
[itex] c + 1 = e*c [/itex]
[itex] 1 = e*c - c [/itex]
[itex] 1 = c(e-1) [/itex]
[itex] \frac{1}{e-1} = c [/itex]Does that look correct on evaluating for [itex] c [/itex] ?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's correct. You should be able to substitute in and find [itex]C[/itex] at this point. In general, as you can see, if you have an Nth order differential equation, you only need N pieces of information in order to determine all the integration constants. They can be values of derivatives or values of the function itself at any arbitrary points.

Using that value for [itex] c [/itex], I did the following.

[itex] f(x) = -ln(x) + \frac{1}{e-1} * x + C [/itex]
[itex] f(x) = -ln(x) + \frac{x}{e-1} + C [/itex]
[itex] f(1) = -ln(1) + \frac{1}{e-1} + C = 0[/itex]
[itex] f(1) = -0 + \frac{1}{e-1} + C = 0 [/itex]
[itex] C = \frac{-1}{e-1} [/itex]

That would make my final answer

[itex] f(x) = -ln(x) + \frac{x}{e-1} - \frac{1}{e-1} [/itex]

I tested it, and it appeared to work

Thanks a lot man. At first I was trying to figure out what you meant, but once I did, I was able to get it. I hadn't realized that you could have only 2 values of the function to determine both the constants
Thank you

Yeah, you just end up with two equations, two unknowns in a linear system. It's a piece of cake once you've seen it once or twice. Just making the leap to getting there is the only hard part.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is used to find the original function when only its derivative is known. It is represented by the symbol ∫.

2. How do you calculate constants in an indefinite integral?

To calculate constants in an indefinite integral, you need to use the given values for the function and solve for the constant using algebraic methods. This involves plugging the values into the indefinite integral equation and solving for the constant.

3. Can the constant in an indefinite integral have multiple values?

Yes, the constant in an indefinite integral can have multiple values. This is because the antiderivative of a function is not unique, and therefore, there can be multiple functions that satisfy the given derivative. Each of these functions will have a different constant value.

4. What is the purpose of calculating constants in an indefinite integral?

The purpose of calculating constants in an indefinite integral is to find the original function from its derivative. By solving for the constant, we can determine the specific function that satisfies the given derivative and use it for further analysis or applications.

5. Are there any specific methods for calculating constants in an indefinite integral with 2 values for f?

Yes, there are specific methods for calculating constants in an indefinite integral with 2 values for f. One method is to use the given values to set up a system of equations and solve for the constant using algebraic methods. Another method is to use the fundamental theorem of calculus to determine the constant value.