Calculating Critical points for multivariable functions.

In summary, the speaker encountered extra critical points (0,0) and (0,2) when trying to find the local maximum and minimum points for the function f(x,y) = (1+xy)(x+y). They question if they made a mistake in their calculations or if the book forgot to mention these points. They provide a picture of their calculations and ask for feedback. The responder explains that after setting s = x+y, the equations become impossible and the alleged 'solution' is not a true root. They advise the speaker to always plug the alleged 'solution' back into the original equations to check if they work.
DavidAp
I am asked to find all local maximum and minimum points for the function,
f(x,y) = (1+xy)(x+y)
so, naturally, I had to find the critical points. However, in the back of my book (Calculus Early Transcendentals 6E, James Stewart) the only critical points are (1,-1) (-1,1) (both of which are saddle points but that's not what's important).

My question is, what did I do wrong in my mathematics? I am getting two extra sets of critical points and I'm wondering: did the book forget to mention them as possible points or did I mess up during the calculations? Probably the latter but I checked my math twice, the second time on the board.

I took a picture of my math because it seemed so much easier. Hopefully my hand writing is legible and the picture is big enough.

My critical points are (1,-1) (-1,1) (-2/6, 10/6) (10/6, -2/6)
If the image is illegible please tell me and I will type it all out on text.

x4riu9.jpg

Thank you for reviewing my question, I greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
f_x = 1+y^2+2xy = 1-x^2 + (x+y)^2, and f_y = 1 - y^2 + (x+y)^2, so if we set s = x+y we have x = +-sqrt(1+s^2) and y = +-sqrt(1+s^2). If we take both + roots (so x,y>0) we have x = y and so s=2x and x = sqrt(1+4x^2), which is impossible. Similarly, we cannot take both - roots, so must take one + and one -. That makes s = 0, and so x = +-1, y = -+1: (1,-1) or (-1,1). Your squarings, etc., have introduced spurious roots (or more precisely, things that are not roots at all). After getting an alleged 'solution' you must always plug it back into the equations (the _original_ ones, not the squared versions) to check if they work.

RGV

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating critical points for multivariable functions?

Calculating critical points helps us identify the maximum and minimum values of a multivariable function, which are important in optimization problems and in determining the behavior of the function.

2. How do you find the critical points of a multivariable function?

To find the critical points, we need to find the values of x and y that make the partial derivatives of the function equal to zero. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations.

3. What is the significance of a critical point with a zero partial derivative?

A critical point with a zero partial derivative indicates that the slope of the function in that direction is equal to zero, which could be a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

4. Can a multivariable function have multiple critical points?

Yes, a multivariable function can have multiple critical points. In fact, most functions have multiple critical points, each with different properties and behaviors.

5. How do critical points relate to the graph of a multivariable function?

Critical points correspond to points on the graph where the tangent plane is horizontal, indicating a change in the behavior of the function. They can also help us identify the location of maximum and minimum values on the graph.