Calculating equatorial velocity

• Thread starter awygle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the equatorial velocity of Earth using two different equations. The first equation, R\varpi=v, results in a velocity of ~465 m/s, which is deemed correct. However, the second equation, g=a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}, gives a velocity of ~8000 m/s, which is incorrect. It is suggested that the incorrect result is due to using the wrong equation, as the Earth has both rectilinear and rotatory motion, and considering g as the centripetal acceleration is incorrect. The conversation also mentions the non-constant nature of g.
awygle
I'm confused about some results I've been getting. I tried calculating the equatorial velocity of Earth by the equation [tex]R\varpi=v[/tex], and I got ~465 [tex]m/s[/tex]. According to various resources, this is correct. But then I tried to calculate it again, using [tex]g=a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}[/tex], and I got ~8000 [tex]m/s[/tex].

Obviously, the second is wrong. My question is why? My only guess is that maybe g doesn't work as [tex]a_{c}[/tex] in this case due to the normal force from the Earth or something of the sort, but that seems a weak explanation...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong because the equation is not the correct one to use.
You have calculated the speed an object would have to travel in orbit around the Earth if its path was literally just above the surface. In other words, its centripetal force was provided by its weight.

earth has both rectilinear and rotatory motion.but you take a=v^2/r.so your assumption is wrong.

hi,friend in your equation how we have take a=g.that is for surface on Earth and although 'g' is not constant at all.

First of all, it's great that you are questioning and double-checking your calculations. This is an important practice in science and can help identify any errors or misunderstandings.

In this case, the discrepancy between the two calculated values for equatorial velocity is likely due to the fact that the equations you used are based on different assumptions and principles.

The first equation, R\varpi=v, is based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. It assumes that the Earth is rotating at a constant rate and that the distance between the Earth's axis of rotation (R) and the equator (varpi) is also constant. This equation gives us the correct value for equatorial velocity because it takes into account the Earth's rotation and the distance from the axis of rotation.

The second equation, g=a_{c}=\frac{v^{2}}{R}, is based on the principles of centripetal force and acceleration. It assumes that the Earth is a perfect sphere with a uniform mass distribution and that gravity is the only force acting on an object on the Earth's surface. However, the Earth is not a perfect sphere and has an uneven mass distribution, which means that the acceleration due to gravity (g) varies slightly at different points on the Earth's surface. Additionally, the normal force from the Earth's surface also plays a role in determining the acceleration of an object on the Earth's surface. These factors can affect the value of g and thus, the calculated equatorial velocity.

In summary, the discrepancy between the two calculated values is due to the different assumptions and principles used in the equations. It is important to consider the underlying principles and assumptions when using equations to calculate physical quantities.

What is equatorial velocity?

Equatorial velocity is the speed at which an object rotates around its axis at the equator. It is a measurement of how fast the Earth is spinning at the equator, and it is affected by the Earth's size and rotation rate.

How is equatorial velocity calculated?

Equatorial velocity is calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the velocity, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the Earth at the equator, and T is the Earth's rotation period. This formula can also be modified for calculating the equatorial velocity of other planets or celestial objects.

What is the equatorial velocity of the Earth?

The equatorial velocity of the Earth is approximately 1670 kilometers per hour (km/h) or 1037 miles per hour (mph). This means that the Earth is rotating at a speed of 1670 km/h at the equator.

How does equatorial velocity affect the Earth?

Equatorial velocity affects the Earth's shape, as the faster rotation at the equator causes the Earth to bulge slightly at the equator and flatten at the poles. It also affects the Coriolis effect, which influences global wind patterns and ocean currents. Additionally, equatorial velocity plays a role in determining the length of a day on Earth.

Why is calculating equatorial velocity important?

Calculating equatorial velocity is important for understanding the Earth's rotation and how it affects our daily lives. It also has practical applications in fields such as geology, meteorology, and navigation. Equatorial velocity is also important for studying other planets and celestial bodies, as it can provide insights into their composition and behavior.