Calculating Flexural Rigidity across span of guitar soundboard

  • Thread starter Thread starter jellicorse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Guitar Span
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
jellicorse
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to calculate the flexural rigidity across the span of a guitar soundboard.

The soundboard is comprised of a number of struts, the shape of which can be approximated to a triangular section sitting on a rectangular section. This makes for straightforward calculation of the second moment of area.

Diagrams
SBFlexResDiagII_zps80484105.jpg


SBFlexResDiag_zps73932c76.jpg


I can see how to calculate the flexural rigidity of each soundboard-brace section: by finding the overall second moment of area of the section (using parallel axis theorem) and then multiplying this by the Young's Modulus (E). (In this case, a standard value for the material in question - Spruce at 10GPa).

What I can not see how to do is to find the overall flexural rigidity across a span of the soundboard.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me how to approach this.

Homework Equations



Parallel Axis Theorem:
[tex]I_{AB} = I_C + l^2 A[/tex]

[tex]Flexural Rigidity = EI[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, right clicking doesn't show any images.
 
I think you have to select "show image in new tab" and it should work...
 
Sorry, t'aint nothin' there to click on.

Have you tried to contact a moderator about helping you to attach an image file?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Oh, cheers for letting me know! I'll see if I can contact a moderator...
 
I changed the [ IMG ] tags to [ url ] tags because it's a url rather than an image link.

The links now seem to work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks a lot Astronuc. I'll bear that in mind for future posts.