Calculating Fluke: Subtract A or R?

• I
  • Thread starter Edwardy
  • Start date
In summary, when calculating the height using similar triangles, the value subtracted from the given length depends on the geometry of the specific case, but the overall method remains the same.
Edwardy
I need to calculate fluke.
Why do I in the first picture, when calculating the height, subract a from r, while in the other one, I subract r from a?
What does that depend on?
*I didn't translate the text because it is long and would take me a lot of time to do, but I will do it if it's neceserry.

Screenshot_20230413-094949.jpg

Screenshot_20230413-095006.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Edwardy said:
Why do I in the first picture, when calculating the height, subract a from r, while in the other one, I subract r from a?
What does that depend on?
In one case, ##\mathbf{2}a## is subtracted from ##r##. In the other case, ##r## is subtracted from ##\mathbf{2}a##.

The reason for the difference is that the geometry is different for the two cases. But, in each case you use similar triangles to set up the relations.

For the first case you have the figure
1681420826750.png

The triangles ABC and DEC are similar. Note that the length of red segment CF is ##r - 2a##.

For the second case you have the figure
1681421093040.png

The triangles ABC and DEC are similar. Note that the length of EC is ##2a - r##.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

1. How do I calculate Fluke?

To calculate Fluke, you must first determine the measured value (M), the actual value (A), and the reference value (R). Then, use the formula Fluke = (M - A) / (R - A). This will give you the Fluke value, which indicates the percentage of error in your measurement.

2. What is the difference between subtracting A and R in Fluke calculation?

Subtracting A in the Fluke formula represents the error in your measurement compared to the actual value, while subtracting R represents the error in your measurement compared to the reference value. Both values are important in determining the overall accuracy of your measurement.

3. Can Fluke be negative?

Yes, Fluke can be negative. This indicates that your measurement is lower than the actual or reference value, resulting in a negative percentage of error. However, in some cases, Fluke may be expressed as a positive value by taking the absolute value of the result.

4. How do I interpret the Fluke value?

The Fluke value indicates the percentage of error in your measurement. A Fluke value of 0% means that your measurement is perfectly accurate. A positive Fluke value means that your measurement is higher than the actual or reference value, while a negative Fluke value means that your measurement is lower than the actual or reference value.

5. Is Fluke the only way to measure accuracy?

No, Fluke is not the only way to measure accuracy. Other methods such as Mean Absolute Error (MAE) and Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) can also be used to measure accuracy. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the most appropriate method to use may depend on the specific application.