Calculating fn on a curved ramp.

• Thread starter Vontox7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the normal force of a car at different heights on an elastically launched ramp. The speaker knows how to calculate the elastic potential energy and that at the targeted height, the car will momentarily stop with all energy being converted to gravitational potential energy. They are trying to find a solution for calculating the normal force using the angle and the mass of the car. They also mention that they know at the targeted height, the net force will be zero and the acceleration will be zero. They are seeking help in using the equation F=ma to solve this problem.
Vontox7

Homework Statement

A car is elastically launched up a ramp and we are required to calculate the normal force of the car at certain heights up the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to calculate the elastic potential energy of the car during launching and i know when it reaches the targeted height it will momentarily stop and at that point all the energy is Eg. I am to calculate the vertical height and i need the ø to find fn for at that point fn is mgcosø. Any ideas how i can solve and find fn for different positions on the ramp? Maybe i am thinking about this wrong.
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of ramp is this exactly?

EDIT: Just saw in the title that it's curve. Assuming you mean a loop, the hint is that you know what F = ma is.

I know when it reaches that certain height it will be at rest, so fnet is zero, so acceleration is zero. but i know at the beginning fnet is fx, fx = ma?

1. How do you calculate the normal force (fn) on a curved ramp?

The normal force on a curved ramp can be calculated using the formula fn = mg*cosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the role of the normal force (fn) on a curved ramp?

The normal force on a curved ramp is the force exerted by the ramp on an object resting on it, perpendicular to the surface. It is responsible for counteracting the force of gravity and preventing the object from sliding down the ramp.

3. Does the normal force (fn) change on different parts of a curved ramp?

Yes, the normal force on a curved ramp changes as the angle of incline changes. It is highest at the bottom of the ramp where the incline is steepest, and decreases as the incline becomes more gradual towards the top of the ramp.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the normal force (fn) on a curved ramp?

The normal force on a curved ramp is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the normal force also increases, making it harder for the object to slide down the ramp.

5. Can the angle of the ramp affect the normal force (fn)?

Yes, the angle of the ramp has a direct effect on the normal force. As the angle of incline increases, the normal force also increases, making it harder for an object to move up or down the ramp. This is because the steeper the incline, the more weight an object has to support.