1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating fn on a curved ramp.

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is elastically launched up a ramp and we are required to calculate the normal force of the car at certain heights up the ramp.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am able to calculate the elastic potential energy of the car during launching and i know when it reaches the targeted height it will momentarily stop and at that point all the energy is Eg. I am to calculate the vertical height and i need the ø to find fn for at that point fn is mgcosø. Any ideas how i can solve and find fn for different positions on the ramp? Maybe i am thinking about this wrong.
    Thank you for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2
    What kind of ramp is this exactly?

EDIT: Just saw in the title that it's curve. Assuming you mean a loop, the hint is that you know what F = ma is.

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    I know when it reaches that certain height it will be at rest, so fnet is zero, so acceleration is zero. but i know at the beginning fnet is fx, fx = ma?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook