Calculating Force and Distance in a Hydraulic Lift System

  • Thread starter Thread starter blackdog666
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fluids Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
blackdog666
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a hydraulic lift, the radii of the pistons are 2.50 cm and 10 cm. A car of mass 1000 kg is to be lifted for inspection.

b) what force must be applied to the proper piston to be able to lift the car with ease?

C) If the smaller piston is pushed by 10 cm, how far is the car lifted?

Homework Equations



P2 = P1 + pgd
P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I found that in b, the required force is 612.5 N, however for C I just don't know what to do. I try putting in 10 cm into the first formula (converting 10 cm into 0.1 m), however I just don't know what to do from there.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org