Calculating hovering of an electro plane

In summary, the hovering of an electro plane is calculated using a combination of factors such as weight, thrust, and aerodynamics. The weight of the plane plays a crucial role in determining the amount of thrust needed for hovering. The motors of the plane provide the necessary thrust and can greatly impact its stability and maneuverability. Various environmental factors, such as air temperature and density, can also affect the calculations. While the accuracy of these calculations can provide a good estimate, actual performance may vary depending on various factors.
jsa0100
I am trying to calculate the necessary amount of power (watts) for a RC plane to hover or to move vertically up. The electro engine has an efficiency of 80% and the propeller efficiency is 50%. The plane weight is around 1 kg.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have calculatet that i need 9.8W and with 50% and 80% efficiency I get around 25W. In real life this types of planes needs around 200w.
So what am i missing?

1. How is the hovering of an electro plane calculated?

The hovering of an electro plane is calculated using a combination of factors, including the weight of the plane, the thrust of the motors, and the aerodynamics of the plane. This calculation is typically done using complex mathematical equations and simulations.

2. What role does the weight of the plane play in calculating hovering?

The weight of the plane is a crucial factor in calculating hovering because it affects the amount of thrust needed to keep the plane in the air. The heavier the plane, the more thrust is required, and vice versa.

3. How do the motors of an electro plane impact hovering?

The motors of an electro plane provide the thrust necessary for hovering. The type and power of the motors can greatly impact the ability of the plane to hover, as well as its stability and maneuverability.

4. Are there any environmental factors that can affect the calculation of hovering for an electro plane?

Yes, there are several environmental factors that can affect the calculation of hovering for an electro plane. These include air temperature, air density, and wind speed. These factors can impact the aerodynamics of the plane and the amount of thrust needed for hovering.

5. How accurate are the calculations for hovering an electro plane?

The accuracy of the calculations for hovering an electro plane depends on various factors, including the accuracy of the data used, the complexity of the equations and simulations, and any external factors that may affect the plane's performance. Overall, the calculations can provide a good estimate for hovering, but actual performance may vary.