1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating integrals of area between two functions, involving absolute values

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I'm currently preparing for pre-tertiary mathematics, studying from Apostol's "One-Variable Calculus". I have just begun to work on the theory of integration of trigonometric functions, but I found that with the last set of exercises (on finding area between two functions, over some interval) I wasn't able to complete them (the issue was with absolute value functions).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Take one, for example, with these functions (over the interval [-1, 1]):

[tex] f(x) = |x| [/tex]
    [tex] g(x) = x^2-1 [/tex]

I recognise that over this interval, [tex] f(x) > g(x) for all x [/tex], so the answer should be equal to the integral of the difference f(x) - g(x) with respect to x over the previously said interval.

How do I tackle this from here? My graphics calculator software tells me the area is equal to 2.33..., but I'm not sure how to arrive at this value.

2. Relevant equations

\int_{a}^{b} [f(x) - g(x)] dx

3. The attempt at a solution

To show that I can work these integrals, I first show another example which may assist to solve the original example.

[tex] f(x) = x(x^2 - 1) [/tex]
    [tex] g(x) = x [/tex]

The interval we must evaluate this integral on is as follows: [tex] [-1, 2^{1/2}] [/tex].

Over the interval [0, 1], f(x) > g(x). Over the interval [tex] [0, 2^{1/2}] [/tex], g(x) > f(x).

So to formalise this now, we have the following:

\int_{-1}^{0} [x(x^2 - 1) - x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [(x - x^3 - x)] dx [/tex]

[tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [x^3 - x - x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [x^3 - 2x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = -\left[ \frac{x^4}{4} - {x^2} \right]_{0}^{-1} + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = [-\frac{-1^4}{4} + -1^2] + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = [-\frac{1}{4} + 1] + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{3}{4} + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{3}{4} + \left[ \frac{-x^4}{4} + {x^2} \right]_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{3}{4} + [-\frac {(2^{1/2})^4}{4} + (2^{1/2})^2] = \frac{3}{4} +[-\frac {4}{4} + 2] [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{3}{4} - 1 + 2 = \frac{3}{4} + 1 [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{3+4}{4} = \frac{7}{4} = 1.75. [/tex]

Now, I believe that, perhaps with the absolute value example, you can substitute values in, similarly to this example I've worked. First, I note that both these functions are monotonically decreasing over the interval [-1, 0] and increasing over [0, 1].

So, I'll try:

[tex] \int_{-1}^{0} [f(x) - g(x)] dx + \int_{0}^{1} [f(x) - g(x)] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [|x| - (x^2 - 1)] dx + \int_{0}^{1} [|x| - (x^2 - 1)] dx [/tex]
    [tex] = \left[ \frac{|x^2|}{2} - (\frac{x^3}{3} - x) \right]_{0}^{-1} + \left[ \frac{|x^2|}{2} - (\frac{x^3}{3} - x) \right]_{0}^{1} [/tex]
    [tex] = 0 - [\frac{1}{2} - (\frac{-1^3}{3} +1)] + [\frac{1}{2} - (\frac{1}{3} - 1)] [/tex]
    [tex] = [-\frac{1}{2} + (-\frac{1^3}{3} + 1)] + [\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1] [/tex]
    [tex] = - \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1 + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1 = \frac{4}{3} [/tex]

Clearly, I'm out by 1. Where have I gone wrong? Any assistance would be simply grand. I tried with the first integral being positive, but I ended with the same result mysteriously enough. I just don't understand!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2
    You have to drop your absolute value bars on the second line of your solution up there. The equation of the line from -1 to 0 is -x and from 0 to 1 it's just x...that changes the sign on your 1/2 aand gets you what you know is correct.
  4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    g(x) and f(x) both have symmetry on the y-axis. You can do it like:

[tex] 2\int_{0}^{1} - x^2 + x - 1 \delta x = 2\left[1 \frac{1}{6} \right][/tex] which is 2.33

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} |x| - (x^2 - 1) \delta x = \left[\frac{|x^2|}{2} - \frac{x^3}{3} + x\right]_{-1}^{1} [/tex]

[tex] = \left[ \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1\right] - \left[ -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - 1\right] = 2\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

I think that's right.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. Jan 3, 2009 #4
    Absolute Value integrals??

Thank you very much, guys. Nice to hear that you can solve integrals by looking for symmetry! This I wasn't aware of.

Gregg, I tried your first integral and I didn't get the same answer as you. Your second integral I understand perfectly though.

Looking closer, it seems you wrote the first integral out incorrectly. I believe it should be this:

2 \int_{0}^{1} |x| - (x^2 - 1) \delta x = 2\left[\frac{|x^2|}{2} - \frac{x^3}{3} + x\right]_{0}^{1}
    [tex] = 2\left[\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1\right] [/tex]
    [tex] = 2\left[1 \frac{1}{6} \right] = 2\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

I truly do appreciate your assistance. This ability to solve using symmetry is quite remarkable, but I suppose it really isn't much of a surprise: symmetry is useful in so many areas in mathematics!

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5
    Re: Absolute Value integrals??

Now I look at it, it can be solved even easier than that. Take the function y = |x|. You know that the area underneath it between -1 and 1 will be 1.

Take the area under the x-axis for [tex]x^2 - 1 = (x+1)(x-1)[/tex] gives

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ \frac{x^3}{3} - x \right]_{-1}^{1}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ \frac{1^3}{3} - 1 \right]-\left[ \frac{-1^3}{3} + 1 \right][/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ -\frac{2}{3} \right] - \left[ \frac{2}{3} \right] = - \frac{4}{3}[/tex]

[tex]1 + \frac{4}{3} = 2 \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

The reason I find this interesting is because you first answers are out by 1 square unit.

I think for this reason it safest in this situation to use the method above.

The blue curve is [tex]|x| - (x^2-1)[/tex] and the red curve is [tex] x - (x^2-1) [/tex] (they overlap).
    Because x is modulus it has a vertex with the x component of [tex] \pm \frac{1}{2} [/tex].

I also find that
    [tex] \int_{-1}^{1} -x^2+x+1 \delta x = \frac{4}{3} [/tex]

I believe this is the reason your answers were out by 1 square unit. The modulus of x was not correctly integrated. But honestly I don't know.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. Jan 3, 2009 #6
    Thanks again, Gregg. I personally feel that this case of looking for symmetries is simpler. Then it's a more intuitive approach. But thanks for elaborating further on these ideas. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?