Calculating integrals of area between two functions, involving absolute values

In summary, a student is struggling with a homework problem involving integrals, and is looking for help.
Ulagatin
Hi all,

I'm currently preparing for pre-tertiary mathematics, studying from Apostol's "One-Variable Calculus". I have just begun to work on the theory of integration of trigonometric functions, but I found that with the last set of exercises (on finding area between two functions, over some interval) I wasn't able to complete them (the issue was with absolute value functions).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

Take one, for example, with these functions (over the interval [-1, 1]):

[tex] f(x) = |x| [/tex]
[tex] g(x) = x^2-1 [/tex]

I recognise that over this interval, [tex] f(x) > g(x) for all x [/tex], so the answer should be equal to the integral of the difference f(x) - g(x) with respect to x over the previously said interval.

How do I tackle this from here? My graphics calculator software tells me the area is equal to 2.33..., but I'm not sure how to arrive at this value.

Homework Equations

[tex]

\int_{a}^{b} [f(x) - g(x)] dx

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that I can work these integrals, I first show another example which may assist to solve the original example.

[tex] f(x) = x(x^2 - 1) [/tex]
[tex] g(x) = x [/tex]

The interval we must evaluate this integral on is as follows: [tex] [-1, 2^{1/2}] [/tex].

Over the interval [0, 1], f(x) > g(x). Over the interval [tex] [0, 2^{1/2}] [/tex], g(x) > f(x).

So to formalise this now, we have the following:

[tex]

\int_{-1}^{0} [x(x^2 - 1) - x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [(x - x^3 - x)] dx [/tex]

[tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [x^3 - x - x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [x^3 - 2x] dx + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = -\left[ \frac{x^4}{4} - {x^2} \right]_{0}^{-1} + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = [-\frac{-1^4}{4} + -1^2] + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = [-\frac{1}{4} + 1] + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{4} + \int_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [-x^3 + 2x] dx [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{4} + \left[ \frac{-x^4}{4} + {x^2} \right]_{0}^{2^{1/2}} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{4} + [-\frac {(2^{1/2})^4}{4} + (2^{1/2})^2] = \frac{3}{4} +[-\frac {4}{4} + 2] [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3}{4} - 1 + 2 = \frac{3}{4} + 1 [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{3+4}{4} = \frac{7}{4} = 1.75. [/tex]

Now, I believe that, perhaps with the absolute value example, you can substitute values in, similarly to this example I've worked. First, I note that both these functions are monotonically decreasing over the interval [-1, 0] and increasing over [0, 1].

So, I'll try:

[tex] \int_{-1}^{0} [f(x) - g(x)] dx + \int_{0}^{1} [f(x) - g(x)] dx [/tex]
[tex] = -\int_{0}^{-1} [|x| - (x^2 - 1)] dx + \int_{0}^{1} [|x| - (x^2 - 1)] dx [/tex]
[tex] = \left[ \frac{|x^2|}{2} - (\frac{x^3}{3} - x) \right]_{0}^{-1} + \left[ \frac{|x^2|}{2} - (\frac{x^3}{3} - x) \right]_{0}^{1} [/tex]
[tex] = 0 - [\frac{1}{2} - (\frac{-1^3}{3} +1)] + [\frac{1}{2} - (\frac{1}{3} - 1)] [/tex]
[tex] = [-\frac{1}{2} + (-\frac{1^3}{3} + 1)] + [\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1] [/tex]
[tex] = - \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1 + \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1 = \frac{4}{3} [/tex]

Clearly, I'm out by 1. Where have I gone wrong? Any assistance would be simply grand. I tried with the first integral being positive, but I ended with the same result mysteriously enough. I just don't understand!

Cheers,
Davin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
You have to drop your absolute value bars on the second line of your solution up there. The equation of the line from -1 to 0 is -x and from 0 to 1 it's just x...that changes the sign on your 1/2 aand gets you what you know is correct.
CC

g(x) and f(x) both have symmetry on the y-axis. You can do it like:

[tex] 2\int_{0}^{1} - x^2 + x - 1 \delta x = 2\left[1 \frac{1}{6} \right][/tex] which is 2.33

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} |x| - (x^2 - 1) \delta x = \left[\frac{|x^2|}{2} - \frac{x^3}{3} + x\right]_{-1}^{1} [/tex]

[tex] = \left[ \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1\right] - \left[ -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} - 1\right] = 2\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

I think that's right.

Last edited:
Absolute Value integrals??

Thank you very much, guys. Nice to hear that you can solve integrals by looking for symmetry! This I wasn't aware of.

Gregg, I tried your first integral and I didn't get the same answer as you. Your second integral I understand perfectly though.

Looking closer, it seems you wrote the first integral out incorrectly. I believe it should be this:

[tex]
2 \int_{0}^{1} |x| - (x^2 - 1) \delta x = 2\left[\frac{|x^2|}{2} - \frac{x^3}{3} + x\right]_{0}^{1}
[/tex]
[tex] = 2\left[\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1\right] [/tex]
[tex] = 2\left[1 \frac{1}{6} \right] = 2\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

I truly do appreciate your assistance. This ability to solve using symmetry is quite remarkable, but I suppose it really isn't much of a surprise: symmetry is useful in so many areas in mathematics!

Cheers,
Davin

Ulagatin said:
Thank you very much, guys. Nice to hear that you can solve integrals by looking for symmetry! This I wasn't aware of.

Gregg, I tried your first integral and I didn't get the same answer as you. Your second integral I understand perfectly though.

Looking closer, it seems you wrote the first integral out incorrectly. I believe it should be this:

[tex]
2 \int_{0}^{1} |x| - (x^2 - 1) \delta x = 2\left[\frac{|x^2|}{2} - \frac{x^3}{3} + x\right]_{0}^{1}
[/tex]
[tex] = 2\left[\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + 1\right] [/tex]
[tex] = 2\left[1 \frac{1}{6} \right] = 2\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

I truly do appreciate your assistance. This ability to solve using symmetry is quite remarkable, but I suppose it really isn't much of a surprise: symmetry is useful in so many areas in mathematics!

Cheers,
Davin

Now I look at it, it can be solved even easier than that. Take the function y = |x|. You know that the area underneath it between -1 and 1 will be 1.

Take the area under the x-axis for [tex]x^2 - 1 = (x+1)(x-1)[/tex] gives

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ \frac{x^3}{3} - x \right]_{-1}^{1}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ \frac{1^3}{3} - 1 \right]-\left[ \frac{-1^3}{3} + 1 \right][/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} x^2 - 1 \delta x = \left[ -\frac{2}{3} \right] - \left[ \frac{2}{3} \right] = - \frac{4}{3}[/tex]

[tex]1 + \frac{4}{3} = 2 \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

The reason I find this interesting is because you first answers are out by 1 square unit.

I think for this reason it safest in this situation to use the method above.

int.jpg

Int2.jpg

The blue curve is [tex]|x| - (x^2-1)[/tex] and the red curve is [tex] x - (x^2-1) [/tex] (they overlap).
Because x is modulus it has a vertex with the x component of [tex] \pm \frac{1}{2} [/tex].

I also find that
[tex] \int_{-1}^{1} -x^2+x+1 \delta x = \frac{4}{3} [/tex]

I believe this is the reason your answers were out by 1 square unit. The modulus of x was not correctly integrated. But honestly I don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Gregg. I personally feel that this case of looking for symmetries is simpler. Then it's a more intuitive approach. But thanks for elaborating further on these ideas. :wink:

Cheers,
Davin

What is the purpose of calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values?

The purpose of calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values is to find the total area between the two functions, taking into account both positive and negative values. This can be useful in calculating the net change in a quantity over a given interval.

What is the process for calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values?

The process for calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values is to first identify the points where the two functions intersect. These points will act as the limits of integration. Then, break the integral into smaller parts based on the intervals between the points of intersection. Finally, use the appropriate integration method to find the area for each interval and add them together to get the total area.

What are some common integration methods used for calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values?

Some common integration methods used for calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values are the midpoint rule, trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the area under the curve using smaller shapes, such as rectangles or trapezoids, and then summing them together to get the total area.

What are some real-life applications of calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values?

Some real-life applications of calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values include finding the displacement of an object over time, calculating the net profit or loss of a business, and determining the total energy consumption over a given period. Additionally, this concept is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating integrals of area between two functions involving absolute values are forgetting to break the integral into smaller parts, using the wrong limits of integration, and using the wrong integration method. It is also important to carefully evaluate the signs of the functions to ensure that the proper area is being calculated.