Calculating Investment Growth: $5,000 to $7,500 at 8% Interest

• Thread starter m90210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Investing
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the time it will take for $5,000 to grow to $7,500 at different interest rates and compounding methods. The formulas for simple interest, compound interest, and continuous compound interest are mentioned. The individual seeking help has not provided their calculations or results.
m90210
How many years (to two decimal places) will it take $5,000 to grow to $7,500 if invested at 8% compounded semiannually? Compounded continuously? Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Plug into&chug out of the formula given in your textbook.

simple interest; A=P(1+rt)
compound interest; A=P(1+r/m)^mt
continuous compound interest; A=Pe^rt

I just can't seem to get my answer to match what is in the textbook. :(

You haven't shown us what you did, you haven't told us what answer you got, you haven't told us what the answer in the book was! I don't see how we can help you!

1. What is the formula for calculating compound interest?

The formula for calculating compound interest is A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

2. How do I calculate the return on investment (ROI)?

To calculate ROI, you need to subtract the initial investment from the final value, then divide the result by the initial investment. Finally, multiply the answer by 100 to get the percentage. The formula is (Final Value - Initial Investment) / Initial Investment * 100.

3. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated on the initial principal amount only, while compound interest is calculated on the initial principal amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will yield higher returns over time compared to simple interest.

4. How can I use the Rule of 72 to estimate investment growth?

The Rule of 72 is a quick way to estimate the number of years it takes for an investment to double given a fixed annual interest rate. To use it, divide 72 by the annual interest rate. The result will be the approximate number of years it takes for the investment to double.

5. How do I factor in inflation when calculating investment returns?

To factor in inflation, you can use the real interest rate instead of the nominal interest rate. The real interest rate is the nominal interest rate minus the inflation rate. This will give you a more accurate estimate of the investment's actual returns.