1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnetic field to accelerate deutrons in a cyclotron

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cyclotron has oscillator frequency of 12×10^6 cycles /sec and dee radius 21 inches .Calculate the magnetic induction B needed to accelerate deutrons .
    Given e=1.6 ×10^-19 coulomb and M (21H )=3.3×10^-27 kg.
    2. Relevant equations

Frequency f= Bq/2πΜ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Β=(2π×3.3 ×10^ -27 ×12 ×10^6)/1.6×10^ -19 = 1.55Wb/m2.
    Have i done this right? Why did they give me the dee radius if didn't need it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps there was a part b) where they asked about the maximum speed the cyclotron can give the deuterons ?

4. Oct 30, 2014 #3
    There is no part b.This is a past year university question.I don't have the answer to it.I will be grateful to you if you could verify my calculation.

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PF isn't really meant to stamp-approve homework (would get us into trouble with all the teachers in the world). But in case this is self-study, I would say that, like you, I can't find much wrong with this straightforward calculation ...

The fun of a cyclotron is that at non-relativistic speeds the increase in speed causes the radius of the particle trajectories to increase, but the time to complete a revolution remains constant. The bigger the thing is, the more revolutions before spilling out, so the higher the kinetic energy reached, but that isn't part of the frequency / magnetic field relationship.

6. Nov 3, 2014 #5
    Thank you.I never post homework questions. I post past year university question only.Our class is too overcrowded for the teachers to attend to individual doubts.Solving past year question gives a feel about the type of questions that can feature in an exam.

7. Nov 3, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome. And practicing exercises is the best way to learn and to prepare for tests, exams and what have you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted