1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma

Tags:
  1. Jan 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let's consider a Tokamak with major radius [itex]R=1m[/itex] and minor radius [itex]a=0.3m[/itex], magnetic field [itex]B=5T[/itex] with a deuterium plasma with central density [itex]10^{20}m^{-3}[/itex], central temperature [itex]1keV[/itex] and parabolic temperature and density profiles [itex]\propto (1-r^2/a^2)[/itex]

a) Find the electronic cyclotron frequency for the second harmonics

b) Verify that the emission in the second extraordinary harmonic in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field is optically thick

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \omega_c=\frac{\Omega}{\gamma}=\frac{eB_0}{m_e\gamma}[/tex]
    [tex] \omega_m=\frac{m\omega_c}{1-\beta_{//}\cos\theta}[/tex]
    [tex] \tau=\int\!\!ds\,\alpha(\nu)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I just apply the formula for [itex]\omega_m[/itex] with [itex]m=2[/itex]
    b) I have no idea... please give me some hint... I tried to calculate the cutoff frequencies for the second harmonic in the extraordinary mode, but the second harmonic frequency doesn't fall in the cutoff and it is not absorbed. I think I have to apply the integral and find [itex]\tau>>1[/itex] but I don't know how to apply that integral. I don't want the solution, just an hint

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2014 #2
    The problem has been taken from exercise 5.4, chapter 5, Hutchinson - Principles of Plasma Diagnostic

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted