What determines the strength of a magnetic field in a cyclotron?

In summary, a cyclotron uses a uniform magnetic field to accelerate particles. The strength of the field is determined by the radius, height, separation distance, material, and temperature.
Aidan Davis
In a cyclotron, I understand that a uniform magnetic field is used, oriented perpendicular to the plane in which the particles accelerate. This field is created by two cylindrical permanent magnets whose opposite poles face each other,as I understand it. What formula(e) determine the strength (flux density) of the field, based on parameters such as radius, height, separation distance, material, and temperature. The plane of acceleration for the particles is assumed to be the halfway point between the two magnets.
I could not find a full concise answer for this online, and since I have few resources outside of that, this is my go to when google fails. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can use simply the formula for long solenoid, supposing that the particle beam fits between 2 turns of the wire somewhere in the middle. The gap is probably as thin as possible, and obviously there is no material in it.
I'm not sure if the coils have ferrite or air cores (seems to have air cores), or if the magnets are actually straight or toroids. A few minutes of Googling didn't find it but the information should be out there somewhere...

SlowThinker said:
I believe you can use simply the formula for long solenoid, supposing that the particle beam fits between 2 turns of the wire somewhere in the middle. The gap is probably as thin as possible, and obviously there is no material in it.
I'm not sure if the coils have ferrite or air cores (seems to have air cores), or if the magnets are actually straight or toroids. A few minutes of Googling didn't find it but the information should be out there somewhere...
Ah, a solenoidal electromagnet could be used as opposed to permanent magnets, as it would, through variations in current, allow for adjustments in the flux density in the field to give optimum particle energy.
Does a cyclotron like this exist or do they all have permanent magnets?

What is the strength between two magnets?

The strength between two magnets is determined by their magnetic fields and the distance between them. The closer the magnets are to each other, the stronger the force will be. The strength of the magnets also depends on their size and magnetic properties.

How is the strength between magnets measured?

The strength between magnets is typically measured in units called gauss or tesla. Gauss is a unit of magnetic field strength, while tesla is a unit of magnetic flux density. There are various instruments that can be used to measure the strength of a magnet's magnetic field.

Can the strength between magnets be increased?

Yes, the strength between magnets can be increased by using magnets with stronger magnetic fields, increasing the size of the magnets, or decreasing the distance between them. Additionally, arranging the magnets in a certain way, such as in a repelling or attracting configuration, can also impact the strength between them.

What factors can affect the strength between magnets?

The strength between magnets can be affected by several factors, including the size and strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and the orientation of the magnets. Other external factors, such as temperature and the presence of other materials, can also impact the strength between magnets.

What are some practical applications of understanding the strength between magnets?

Understanding the strength between magnets is important in numerous areas of science and technology. Some practical applications include the use of magnets in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. Magnets are also used in magnetic levitation systems, speakers, and magnetic storage devices. Additionally, understanding the strength between magnets is crucial in designing and building electromagnets for various purposes.