1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Radius in a Bending Magnet

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    Problem:

15 MeV electrons enter a bending magnet with a magnetic field of .7 tesla. What is the radius of the path of electrons?

Equation:

r = mV/Bq

B = .7 tesla
    q = 1.6 x 10^-19 C

My problem here is that I don't know how to find the velocity of the electron for this equation. The supposed answer to the problem is 7.4 cm = r, but I'm just not getting that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

With an energy of 15 MeV, the electrons are clearly relativistic. The formula you're using is only valid in the non-relativistic regime.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    Do you know which equation I should be using then? This problem has been stumping me for days.

Thanks!

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's something you should be able to derive on your own or at least find on your own in your textbook or notes.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5
    I was told to use the equation above by my professor. That's why I'm confused now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook