1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating maximum shear in a steel beam cantilever

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    Problem:

UdSVzaE.png

I do not know how to approach this problem. For a beam which has two reactions, the shear stress is equivalent to the reaction.

I suppose that the stress is calculated using moment some how. But how?

For seeing if the beam is allowable stress design compliant, you can use the maximum shear load of steel, which is 14,000lb/in^2

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2
    maybe try using these equations: [itex] V = \frac{dM}{dx} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{d^{2}M}{dx^{2}} = - w [/itex] Where V is the shear, M is the moment, and w is the intensity of the load...

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    So I think you'll need to do something like this, find the resultant of the distributed load and where it acts (at the centroid of the beam), calculate the reaction forces, and then break the beam into sections to find the shear and bending moment...

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a cantilevered beam. There is only one point on the beam which needs to be checked for shear and bending moment.

In any event, the first order of business is to solve for the reactions which keep the free body of this beam in equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted