Calculating Shear Stress in Beams: V and A Formula

In summary, the formula for calculating shear stress in a beam is given by τ = VQ/It, where τ represents shear stress, V represents shear force, Q represents the first moment of area above the location of the shear stress, I represents the second moment of area for the entire beam, and t represents the width of the beam. However, for other shapes, the relationship between shear stress and V and A is not generalizable and depends on the specific shape. In the case of a rectangle, the maximum shear stress is 3/2 times the average shear stress, while for a circle, it is 4/3 times the average shear stress. Additionally, for shapes like I beams, the area of the web is used
chetzread

Homework Statement

in the old thread , i was told that
The formula for calculating the shear stress is a beam is ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##

τ - shear stress
V - shear force
Q - first moment of area above the location where the shear stress is calculated.
I - second moment of area for the entire beam about the N.A.
t - width of the beam where the shear stress is calculated
But , how to change the ##τ = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}## into V and A only ?
just like below ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The V represent shear force , it's not volume , am i right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry , i left out something in post # 1 , so continue here :
as we can see shear stress of various shape is in terms of V and A ,
The V represent shear force , it's not volume , am i right ?

How to change shear stress = (V)(Q)/ (It) into in terms of V and A ?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,567
V is the conventional designation for shear (in force units). Clearly it doesn't stand for Volume here, right?
V/A is average shear stress, whereas VQ/It is maximum shear stress which usually is at the neutral axis. You cannot generalize a relationship between them since it depends on the cross section shape. For example for the rectangle, max shear stress is 3/2 avg shear stress, and for the circle, max shear stress is 4/3 avg shear stress. Note that for certain shapes like I beams, the area of the web and not the entire shape is used to determine A when computing avg shear stress, because the shear stresses mostly are in the web.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
V is the conventional designation for shear (in force units). Clearly it doesn't stand for Volume here, right?
V/A is average shear stress, whereas VQ/It is maximum shear stress which usually is at the neutral axis. You cannot generalize a relationship between them since it depends on the cross section shape. For example for the rectangle, max shear stress is 3/2 avg shear stress, and for the circle, max shear stress is 4/3 avg shear stress. Note that for certain shapes like I beams, the area of the web and not the entire shape is used to determine A when computing avg shear stress, because the shear stresses mostly are in the web.
so , shear stress is VQ/It for beam , and for the other shape , it's function of V and A ..There's no way to derive he shear stress of other shape from VQ/It ?

I think you misunderstood. repeat: For the rectangle, max shear stress VQ/It is 3/2(V/A), or 3/2 times the avg shear stress in the rectangle. For the circle, max shear stress VQ/It is 4/3 (V/A), or 4/3 times the average shear stress in the circle.

Likes chetzread

What is shear stress in beams and why is it important?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a beam, causing it to deform. It is an important factor in determining the structural integrity and stability of a beam, as it can lead to failure if not properly calculated and accounted for.

What is the V and A formula for calculating shear stress in beams?

The V and A formula, also known as the Shear and Area formula, is used to calculate the maximum shear stress in a beam. It is represented by the equation V/A, where V is the shear force and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam. This formula assumes a rectangular cross-section and a uniform distribution of shear stress.

How do you determine the shear force in a beam?

The shear force in a beam can be determined by analyzing the external loads and reactions acting on the beam. These include point loads, distributed loads, and moments. The shear force can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the bending moment equation.

What factors affect the maximum shear stress in a beam?

The maximum shear stress in a beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of external loads, the cross-sectional shape of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. Additionally, the location of the shear force and the support conditions of the beam can also impact the maximum shear stress.

What are some common methods for reducing shear stress in beams?

One common method for reducing shear stress in beams is by increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam. This can be achieved by adding additional material to the beam or using a thicker beam. Another method is to redistribute the external loads to reduce the shear force. This can be done by adding additional supports or changing the location of the loads. Additionally, using materials with higher shear strength can also help reduce shear stress in beams.