Calculating Moment of Inertia for a Physical Pendulum

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
sajama
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Would appreciate any help anyone has for me.

I am building a physical pendulum of sort, which consists of a hollow cylinder, which I am going to fill with sand. I am going to let the sand flow out of the pendulum and investigate the change in period with changing mass.

I also am mathematically/computationally modelling this. I am currently trying to figure out the equations of motion that I'm going to need to model this. I know the equation for the period of a physical pendulum is T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgh), where h will be changing at a constant rate.
I'm wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia. I've found equations on hyperphysics for common moments of inertia (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/mi.html#) but as my pendulum is going to be partly a solid cylinder and partly a hollow one, I'm not sure how to merge these equations. Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sajama said:
… I'm wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia. I've found equations on hyperphysics for common moments of inertia (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/mi.html#) but as my pendulum is going to be partly a solid cylinder and partly a hollow one, I'm not sure how to merge these equations. Has anyone got any advice?

Hi sajama! :smile:

moment of inertia is additive …

so just add the moments of inertia of the two cylinders as if they were completely separate. :smile:

And of course, you'll also need the parallel axis theorem, since your moment of inertia is not about the centre of mass. :wink:

(btw, there's a better list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia" … and you need to learn all of them :wink:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You can just algebraically add moment of inertia of various bodies if they have the same axis of rotation.