Calculating n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! from Binomial Theorem

In summary, the formula for calculating n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! from the Binomial Theorem is n! / ((k-1)! * (n-k+1)!). The Binomial Theorem is used for binomial coefficients and expressions, and it can be used to find the number of ways to choose k objects from n objects. It is only applicable for integer values of n and k. Other ways to calculate this value include using the formula n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! = n * (n-1) * ... * (n-k+1) / k!, or using a calculator or computer program.
Jef123
1. How do you get n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! from [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
n\\k-1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

I thought it would be n!/(k-1)!(n-k-1)! where the n-k+1 on the bottom of the fraction would be a n-k-1 instead. I don't understand why there is a "+1" wouldn't you just replace k with k-1 in the binomial formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\binom{n}{k-1}=\frac {n!}{(k-1)!(n-(k-1))!}=\frac{n!}{(k-1)!(n-k+1))!}[/tex]

I just got it after i typed that out. I can't believe i didnt notice that

Binomial theorem use for different purposes. The above person share write formula.

1. What is the formula for calculating n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)!?

The formula for calculating n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! from the Binomial Theorem is n! / ((k-1)! * (n-k+1)!).

2. How do I know when to use the Binomial Theorem to calculate n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)!?

The Binomial Theorem is used when dealing with binomial coefficients, which are expressions of the form (n choose k). It is also used when expanding binomial expressions, such as (a + b)^n. If you encounter these types of expressions in your calculations, the Binomial Theorem may be helpful.

3. Can I use the Binomial Theorem to calculate n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! for non-integer values of n and k?

No, the Binomial Theorem is only applicable for integer values of n and k.

4. What is the significance of calculating n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! from the Binomial Theorem?

The expression n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! represents the number of ways to choose k objects from a total of n objects, where the order does not matter. This is commonly known as a combination and has many real-world applications in probability, statistics, and combinatorics.

5. Are there any other ways to calculate n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! besides using the Binomial Theorem?

Yes, you can also use the formula n!/(k-1)!(n-k+1)! = n * (n-1) * ... * (n-k+1) / k!, which is derived from the definition of binomial coefficients. You can also use a calculator or computer program to directly compute the value.