Calculating Net Heat Flow for an Aluminum Disk in a Room

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
lonelypancreas
Messages
12
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


What is the net heat flow of an aluminum disk (emissivity = 0.05) with radius
10 cm and temperature 293K placed inside a room where the temperature is 300K?


Asurface = π*r2 = 0.01π m2

Homework Equations


Hnet = A*e*σ(Tradiate4-Tabsorb4)

The Attempt at a Solution


By simply plugging in the values, I get a value of 0.13. However, the answer is not among the choices.

Where did I possibly go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lonelypancreas said:

Homework Statement


What is the net heat flow of an aluminum disk (emissivity = 0.05) with radius
10 cm and temperature 293K placed inside a room where the temperature is 300K?


Asurface = π*r2 = 0.01π m2

Homework Equations


Hnet = A*e*σ(Tradiate4-Tabsorb4)

The Attempt at a Solution


By simply plugging in the values, I get a value of 0.13. However, the answer is not among the choices.

Where did I possibly go wrong?
That's the numerical answer that I got (don't forget to include your units in the future), with the possible exception of a negative sign.

What are the other choices?
 
collinsmark said:
That's the numerical answer that I got (don't forget to include your units in the future), with the possible exception of a negative sign.

What are the other choices?

upload_2017-6-20_6-41-40.png
 
lonelypancreas said:
Hmm. The given answer choices differ from our answer by a factor of around √2, for what that's worth.

Unless there's more to the problem though I think our answer of 0.13 W is correct*. I don't know, maybe it's a mistake in the book/coursework?

*I'll let you figure out if it's into or out of the disk.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: lonelypancreas