1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating percentage change in flow rate through a valve

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

The max flow rate through a control valve with an equal percentage characteristic is 10 m3/h. If the valve has a rangeability ratio of 50:1 and is subjected to a constant differential pressure, calculate the % change in flow rate through the valve for valve lifts at 10% intervals.

It asks to show that the vavle is indeed equal % by finding the change in flowrate from one interval to the next.

I am just slightly stuck on which equation to use for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

is this homework ?
    looks like it

Dave

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    It's similar to a question I have for homework but not the same. I am just needing a bit of help with equations and which one to use as I am stuck?

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4
  6. Jul 29, 2015 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That link appears to size valves for on-off control.

Equal Percentage infers you will use this valve to modulate flow, not just two-state full open or shut

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/control-valves-flow-characteristics-d_485.html
    upload_2015-7-29_15-51-10.png

^ suggests the remainder of the piping system is ignored.
    Sounds like homework to me. How does your reference define 'equal percentage" ?

see also http://www.documentation.emersonpro...rticlesreprints/headleyrev_spr03_valvemag.pdf

7. Jul 30, 2015 #6
    It just states that the differential pressure is constant. I'd assume this would mean that with each difference there will be exactly 10% between them. Finding the change in flow rate from one interval to the next. Not sure if that helps at all...

8. Jul 30, 2015 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

???
    have you yet defined "equal percentage" ?

A quick google search took me to a page that has this example problem worked out in excruciating detail...

we expect you to show some effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted