Tank Change in Flow Process Modeling

In summary: You can use that equation to determine the time constant for the system.You already provided an equation for tau. You can use that equation to determine the time constant for the system.
PaxFinnica96
Hi All,
I'm really struggling with the below question - I'm not sure if I've taken the correct approach to determining the model as there may be an easier way to do this?

Any help in much appreciated, please let me know if I have submitted this template correctly as this if my first time!
Cheers

1. Homework Statement

a. FIGURE 2 shows two cylindrical tanks interconnected with a pipe which has a valve that creates a constant resistance to flow of Rf when fully open. The height of liquid (of density ρ) in the first tank is hin and the second tank hout. The cross-sectional area of the first tank is Ain m2 and the second tank Aout m2.
upload_2019-2-21_8-34-56.png

Produce a mathematical model of the process to determine the change in height of fluid in the second tank when the valve is open.

b. Determine the time constant for the system.

Homework Equations

The flow rate of liquid through the valve is given by:[/B]

Q = 1/Rf (Pin - Pout)

Where; Q = flow rate in m^3 s^-1

Pin = pressure due to height of liquid in first tank (Pa)

Pout = pressure due to height of liquid in second tank (Pa)

The Attempt at a Solution

a[/B]
upload_2019-2-21_8-36-47.png
upload_2019-2-21_8-37-8.png

b
upload_2019-2-21_8-37-52.png

Giving a time constant of 63.2% for the system.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-21_8-34-56.png
    upload_2019-2-21_8-34-56.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 493
  • upload_2019-2-21_8-36-47.png
    upload_2019-2-21_8-36-47.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 440
  • upload_2019-2-21_8-37-8.png
    upload_2019-2-21_8-37-8.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 461
  • upload_2019-2-21_8-37-52.png
    upload_2019-2-21_8-37-52.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the final differential equation to determine ##h_{out}##. You have two algebraic equations in two unknowns:
$$A_{in}h_{in}+A_{out}h_{out}=A_{in}h_{in,0}+A_{out}h_{out,0}$$
and $$h_{in}-h_{out}=(h_{in,0}-h_{out,0})e^{-t/\tau}$$

So instead of differentiating at the end I should just leave the equations as they are like below?

222195-b54ffaec0afbba6d5453a104228544fb.jpg

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 222195-b54ffaec0afbba6d5453a104228544fb.jpg
    222195-b54ffaec0afbba6d5453a104228544fb.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 574
PaxFinnica96 said:
So instead of differentiating at the end I should just leave the equations as they are like below?

View attachment 239115
No. You solve the two equations in two unknowns for the change in height in the second tank.

Chestermiller said:
No. You solve the two equations in two unknowns for the change in height in the second tank.

Ok, that's great I think I've managed to solve the two equations and demonstrate the proof but I'm still struggling with how best to determine the time constant - would it just be a simple matter of rearranging the model equation (the one I've just solved from the two above equations) for tau?

PaxFinnica96 said:
Ok, that's great I think I've managed to solve the two equations and demonstrate the proof but I'm still struggling with how best to determine the time constant - would it just be a simple matter of rearranging the model equation (the one I've just solved from the two above equations) for tau?
You already provided an equation for tau.

1. What is tank change in flow process modeling?

Tank change in flow process modeling refers to the process of modeling the flow of a liquid or gas through a system that includes tanks or reservoirs. This involves tracking the changes in volume, pressure, and other parameters within the tanks as the fluid flows through them.

2. Why is tank change important in flow process modeling?

Tank change is important in flow process modeling because it allows for a more accurate representation of the system being studied. By considering the changes in tank volume and other parameters, the model can better predict the behavior of the fluid and identify potential issues or inefficiencies in the system.

3. How is tank change typically incorporated into flow process models?

Tank change is typically incorporated into flow process models through the use of differential equations. These equations take into account the inflow and outflow rates of the tanks, as well as any changes in volume or other parameters within the tanks. The equations are then solved numerically to simulate the behavior of the system over time.

4. What are some common challenges in modeling tank change in flow processes?

Some common challenges in modeling tank change in flow processes include accurately measuring and accounting for all the factors that can affect tank volume, such as temperature and pressure changes. Additionally, accurately predicting the behavior of the fluid as it flows through the tanks can be difficult, as it may be affected by factors such as viscosity and turbulence.

5. How can tank change in flow process modeling be applied in real-world scenarios?

Tank change in flow process modeling has many practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of industrial processes involving the flow of liquids or gases. It can also be used in environmental studies to model the movement of pollutants through water or air systems. Additionally, tank change modeling can be applied in the development of new technologies, such as fuel cells or chemical reactors.