Calculating Potential of a Hoop in Electromagnetism

In summary: Hi, thanks for the reply :-)I am a little mystified by the area you mention... in what orientation are you taking this ring portion?Maybe it will come to me, I am working on the problem now but at the moment I can't see it...~GazThat's all and I'm also calculating it.In summary, Gaz explains that potential is the potential at a point in space due to the electric field created by a ring of charges. He then calculates potential for a point on a sphere, and finds that it is equal to the charge divided by the distance from the point to the center of the sphere.
ghosts_cloak
http://www.zen96175.zen.co.uk/question.GIF

Hi everyone :-) This is my first post here!
I have a question regarding electrostatics, in the picture above. I am not looking for the solution at all as this work will be assesed, I am just hoping that someone can verify/ poke me in the right direction.

First of all potential is q/(k*x) in x-hat direction?
Integrate that over 2*Pi*a to get potential of a hoop.
Using cosine rule to express x in terms of theta, then integrate over whole hoop from 0 to Pi..
Thats what I have been trying, and I am not having any joy. Any small pointers would be most appreciated!

I hope that was okay for a first post!

~Gaz

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost correct. Wrong point is all potential is [tex]4\pi a^2 k \sigma / r = kq/r (or \frac q {4\pi \epsilon_0 r} )[/tex]

First think of the ring portion on the sphere between [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\theta + d \theta[/tex] (area is [tex]2\pi a^2 \sin \theta d \theta[/tex]), and calculate the electric field the ring creates at P (note you only need to calculate horizontal factor ignoring other directions.) Then integrate it over [tex]0 \leqq \theta \leqq \pi[/tex].

That's all and I'm also calculating it.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply :-)
I am a little mystified by the area you mention... in what orientation are you taking this ring portion?
Maybe it will come to me, I am working on the problem now but at the moment I can't see it...
Thanks!

~Gaz

Actually, I see where you get the area from now :-) Ill keep at it..
~Gaz

under construction :)

ok. I've done all the calculations.

First, the electric charge in the ring on the sphere between [tex]\theta and \theta + d \theta[/tex] is [tex]\2pi a^2 \sigma[/tex]. So the electric field at P this ring contributes is [tex]dE = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta d \theta} {x^2} \cos \angle QPO[/tex] (Q is the point on the sphere at [tex]\cos \theta[/tex]. You can take into account only the horizontal component of the electric field, so you need to multiply [tex]\cos \angle QPO[/tex]. So consider [tex]x^2 = a^2 + r^2 - 2ar \cos \theta[/tex] because of law of cosines,

[tex]dE = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta } {x^2} \cdot \frac {r-a \cos \theta} { x} = 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 - 2ar \cos \theta)^{-3/2} (r-a \cos \theta) \sin \theta d \theta[/tex]

We need to integrate [tex]0 \leqq \theta \leqq \pi[/tex], but substitute [tex]u = \cos \theta, [/tex] so [tex] d \theta = \frac {d \theta}{du} du = - \frac 1 {\sin \theta} du[/tex].

So we integrate:

[tex]dE = 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 -2aru)^{-3/2}(r-au)du[/tex] over [tex]-1 \leqq u \leqq 1[/tex] (note sign is reversed.)

Using partial integral,

[tex]E = 2\pi a^2 \sigma (\frac 1 {ar} (r^2+a^2 -2aru)^{-1/2} (r-au) \vert_{-1}^1 + \frac 1 {ar} \int_{-1}^1 a(r^2+a^2-2aru)^{-1/2} du)[/tex]

[tex]= 2\pi a^2 \sigma (\frac 1{ar} (\frac {|r-a|}{|r-a|} - \frac {|r+a|} {|r+a| } ) + \frac 1{ar} (-\frac {2a}{2ar} (r^2+a^2-2aru)^{1/2} \vert_{-1}^1)[/tex]

[tex]= 2\pi a^2 \sigma(\frac 1{ar} \frac 1 r(-(|r-a|-|r+a|))[/tex]
[tex]= \frac {4 \pi a^2 \sigma} {r^2}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Hiya, thanks for the effort you have put in!
I think I have the solution now, I found the potential first and then the electric field from that, and everything drops out nicely and appears like a point charge as required. I will of course work through your solution also to compare, I thought mine was correct although its a lot shorter than yours...Ill have to check I haven't missed anything!

~Gaz

~Gaz

oh yeah, it says calculate potential first! lol.

ghosts_cloak said:
Hiya, thanks for the effort you have put in!
I think I have the solution now, I found the potential first and then the electric field from that, and everything drops out nicely and appears like a point charge as required. I will of course work through your solution also to compare, I thought mine was correct although its a lot shorter than yours...Ill have to check I haven't missed anything!

~Gaz

~Gaz

Yeah! If you calculate potential, you don't have to consider [tex]\cos \angle QPO[/tex], so it's much shorter and easier! This cosine part makes the calculation complicated, because of this part, partial integral is necessary.

My calculation for potential is (as the question requests :))

[tex]d \phi = \frac {2\pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta} x d \theta[/tex]

so it follows that:

[tex]\phi = \int_0^\pi \frac {2 \pi a^2 \sigma \sin \theta} x d \theta [/tex]

[tex]= \int_0^\pi 2\pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 -2ar \cos \theta)^{-1/2} \sin \theta d \theta [/tex]

[tex]= \int_{-1}^1 2 \pi a^2 \sigma (r^2+a^2 - 2aru)^{-1/2} du = \frac {4 \pi \sigma a^2} r[/tex]

actually much easier...

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Potential of a Hoop in Electromagnetism

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism refers to the physical phenomenon of the interaction between electrically charged particles. It involves the relationship between electric fields, magnetic fields, and the motion of charged particles.

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field.

3. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle experiencing the electric field. It is also dependent on the distance between the particle and the source of the electric field.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V), which is defined as joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How is electric potential related to electric fields?

Electric potential is directly related to electric fields, as it is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a specific point. The electric potential at a point is equal to the potential energy per unit charge at that point, which is determined by the strength and direction of the electric field.