Calculating pressure on an embedded pipe in vertical plane

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in calculating the wall thickness and maximum depth of a PVC pipe placed vertically in a trench and surrounded by concrete. They are unsure of how the pressure will be distributed and the potential impact of the concrete head pressure. Various options are suggested, including using a cylindrical pipe, filling the pipe with a fluid, and obtaining the working pressure for the PVC schedule and derating it. The individual is also considering combining some of these options.
CWoodhouse
I have a problem and it consists on placing a square PVC pipe vertically in a trench and surrounding it in concrete, I would like to know how would I calculate the sufficient wall thickness of this pipe and the maximum depth of the trench etc before the pipe would yield to the surrounding pressure of the concrete. I am not sure how the pressure will be distributed within the walls of the trench and how much of concrete head pressure will be acting on the pipe.

Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the pvc pipe have to be empty of concrete to the bottom? If you allow the bottom to fill up some with concrete, you won't have to worry too much about it.

Yes the pipe would need to be sealed, causing a pressure difference.

Option A: use a cylindrical 'pipe', which is much easier to find, cheaper, and will handle pressures much better.

Option B: Fill either 'pipe' with any fluid having a density at or above the concrete, such as something similar to drillers mud, and pump out later. That way, no differential pressures.

Option C: Obtain the working pressure for the PVC schedule proposed, and derate it by a factor of 3 or so since pipes perform worse for external pressures than internal. Calculate the concrete pressure at the bottom, knowing its density is about 2.4gm/cc. Limit concrete height to what would give you 1/3 of the internal pipe rating.

Option D: combine option C with a water fill to get some internal pressure.

To calculate the pressure on an embedded pipe in a vertical plane, you will need to consider several factors such as the depth of the trench, the type and density of the surrounding soil, and the weight and density of the concrete used. This can be done using mathematical equations and principles of fluid mechanics.

First, you will need to determine the maximum depth of the trench based on the type of soil and the desired stability of the pipe. The deeper the trench, the more weight and pressure the pipe will be subjected to.

Next, you will need to calculate the weight of the concrete that will be surrounding the pipe. This can be done by multiplying the density of the concrete by the volume of concrete surrounding the pipe.

Once you have these values, you can use the principle of buoyancy to determine the pressure exerted on the pipe by the surrounding concrete. This pressure will be distributed evenly on the walls of the pipe, so you can calculate the required wall thickness by considering the maximum allowable stress for the pipe material.

It is also important to consider any additional factors that may affect the pressure on the pipe, such as temperature changes or external forces.

Overall, the calculation of pressure on an embedded pipe in a vertical plane can be complex and it is recommended to consult with a structural engineer or other experienced professional for accurate and safe results.

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure on an embedded pipe in a vertical plane?

The formula for calculating pressure on an embedded pipe in a vertical plane is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the depth of the pipe below the surface.

2. How do I determine the density of the fluid for pressure calculation?

The density of the fluid can be found in its material safety data sheet (MSDS) or can be measured using a hydrometer. It is important to note that the density may vary depending on the temperature and pressure of the fluid.

3. Can the pressure on an embedded pipe be higher than the weight of the fluid above it?

Yes, the pressure on an embedded pipe can be higher than the weight of the fluid above it if there is additional external pressure acting on the pipe, such as from surrounding soil or structures.

4. Does the diameter of the pipe affect the pressure calculation?

Yes, the diameter of the pipe does affect the pressure calculation. The pressure will be higher for a smaller diameter pipe, as the same amount of fluid is being forced into a smaller area.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my pressure calculation?

To ensure the accuracy of your pressure calculation, it is important to use the correct formula, input accurate values for density, depth, and gravitational acceleration, and consider any external pressures on the pipe. It is also recommended to double check your calculations and seek assistance from a professional if needed.