Calculating pressure to raise a submarine

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the volume of gas needed to fill an umbrella and raise a model submarine, as well as the pressure required to pump the gas through a tube into the water. They are also considering using a weight to push the air into the water and need help determining the necessary mass for this method.
inkymadness
ok a model submarine, so not as exciting as the title suggests! This is a pretty basic physics question so forgive me, I'm just trying to clarify in my own head the increase in water displacement with a decrease in gas pressure. Basically as shown in the diagram below I have a model of the Kursk, basically a metal cube with a mass of 0.128kg, and let's say a density of 2 (haven't decided on material yet). So to give it buoyancy I have to get its density to less than 1 (water thereabouts) and so am going to pump atmospheric air through a 10mm tube at the bottom of the container which will bubble up to a fabric umbrella and increase the volume of the model to raise it. What I need help with is to work out the volume of gas needed to fill the umbrella to get it to raise, the pressure required to pump the gas through the diameter tube at the bottom of the tank, and finally a couple of variance on the mechanism to pump the air and your opinions on whether they'd work. So here's the equations I'm working on and the diagram:
kirsk.jpg

1. Volume of Kursk, 0.04m sided cube = 0.064m3. Density = 2 therefore mass = 0.128kg.
equation to get increase volume to 1< (just use density of 1) P=m/Vgh
h= 2m of water therefore
V = 1/gh/m
V= 0.429m3, so I need to add 0.365m3 of air to get it to raise. Sound right? This is what the volume of the air is in the tube that feeds the container yeah? Will this tube be at 1 atmosphere of pressure regardless of how great the h of the tube is?
2. How do I calculate the pressure needed at the opening of the tube to push the air out of the tube and into the water? I'm thinking P=F/A where A is the area of the tube opening, and the Force is the mass of a 10mm circular water column x gravity x height (F=mgh). Is this correct?
3. I'm thinking of placing a weight into the tube that is greater than the mass required to push the air into the water will this work, and what sort of mass are we talking - I assume once I have the pressure required I can use the equation P=m/Vgh to work out the mass? Thanks muchly in advance and apologise if this is too long a post for such a simple problem, I'm just trying to make it easy for you to understand what I'm talking about. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what the volume of the air is in the tube that feeds the container yeah? Will this tube be at 1 atmosphere of pressure regardless of how great the h of the tube is?

the pressure of water at at depth h is what the air will see as it tries to exit the tube.

In order to pump the air into the tank, the pressure from the pump must exceed the pressure from the water. If you want a truly accurate answer, you may need some basic calculus as the pressure from the water at different levels of height in the umbrella will change slightly. It won't be much, but it would be slightly more accurate. With your idea of using a weight to push the water down, it seems like it could work. Pressure is indeed equal to F/A, so you should be able to find a mass that can do this. I would first find the pressure using P = ρgh, then use it to find the force necessary by setting it equal to the F/A. Simply solve for F, and you should be able to get the mass necessary in Newtons.

What is the formula for calculating pressure to raise a submarine?

The formula for calculating pressure to raise a submarine is P = D x S, where P represents pressure, D represents depth, and S represents the surface area of the submarine.

How does depth affect the pressure to raise a submarine?

The deeper a submarine goes, the greater the pressure it experiences. This is because the weight of the water above the submarine increases with depth, creating a larger force pushing down on the submarine.

What factors can affect the surface area of a submarine?

The surface area of a submarine can be affected by its size, shape, and any external attachments or equipment. The shape of the submarine plays a significant role in determining its surface area, as a more streamlined shape will experience less resistance and therefore less pressure.

Why is it important to calculate the pressure to raise a submarine?

Calculating the pressure to raise a submarine is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the submarine. If the pressure is too high, the submarine may experience structural damage or even collapse. It is also important for determining the amount of force or energy needed to raise the submarine to the desired depth.

How can the pressure to raise a submarine be reduced?

The pressure to raise a submarine can be reduced by decreasing its depth or increasing its surface area. This can be achieved by releasing air from ballast tanks or using external equipment to increase the surface area of the submarine. Additionally, using a more streamlined and hydrodynamic shape for the submarine can help reduce the pressure experienced at greater depths.