1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Probabilities in C++

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Working on a program that will calculate the results of a shootout between 3 people, each of whom have a different level of accuracy (one hits his mark 1/3 of the time, one hits his mark 1/2 of the time, one hits his mark 1/1 of the time).

2. Relevant equations

What's a way to represent 1/3 as a float/double so that I can make my calculations as accurate possible? I'm sure there are multiple ways, but I'm curious what kind of options I have available to me.

Does anyone have some links to relevant reading material? Or some source code that addresses a similar problem that I might examine?

Anything welcome.

P.S. Is there any way to sage a post on the forum? i.e. respond but not bump the thread?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2
    like this

Code (Text):

double d = 1.0/3;

or

Code (Text):

double d = 1/3.0;

or

Code (Text):

double d = 1/3.;

or

Code (Text):

double d = static_cast<double>(1)/3;

etc.

but not

Code (Text):

double d = 1/3;

because the "1/3" part would evaluate to an integer with value zero

The important thing to know is that at least one of the operands (numerator or denominator) should be a floating point type.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Great. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook