1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating probability of an event

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the probability of the following statement :

[tex]P(A\prime \cap C | B \prime )[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]P(A \prime \cap C | B\prime ) =\frac{P ( A \prime \cap C \cap B \prime)}{P(B \prime)}= \frac{P ( A \prime \cap C \cap B \prime)}{1-P(b)}[/tex]

I am stuck as to how do l deal with the numerator. Can someone please help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

what are you trying to do?

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    I am trying to calculate the probability of [tex]
    P(A\prime \cap C | B \prime )
    [/tex]. More of like trying to find the algebraic expression to calculate the probability of [tex]
    P(A\prime \cap C | B \prime )
    [/tex].

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. Oct 16, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

in terms of what? ie what form are you trying to simplify to/express in?

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    I am trying to make it as simple as possible so that if given the values of A,B&C you can calculate the probability

7. Oct 16, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

sorry, its still not clear exactly what you;re trying to do, is this an actual question? given what values?

you will need P(A), P(B), P(C) and some info about their intersections/unions

you could use some basic set theory to re-arrange, but it all depends want you want it in terms of, for example, deriving quickly from venn diagrams

looking at 2 sets A & B
    [tex] P(A) + P(B) = P(A \cup B) + P(A \cap B) [/tex]

then adding another set C
    [tex] P(A) + P(B) + P(C) = P(A \cup B \cup C) + P(A \cap B) + P(B \cap C) + P(C \cap A) -P(A \cap B \capC) [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook