Calculating Q-Value for given Beta- decay

In summary, the problem the student is having is that they are trying to apply the equation E=Δmc2 and they are not understanding why mass of electron is not included in the solution. The textbook's solution is to calculate Q using the change in mass due to the number of electrons on the left side of the equation.
hasankamal007
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum.
Hello,
I've recently started studying Nuclear physics and would appreciate help from someone who could clarify my doubt.

Given Problem:
19O -> 19F + e + v
Calculate the Q-value in the given decay using following data:
Atomic masses:
19O 19.003576u
19F 18.998403u

The problem that I'm having is this:
In the reaction I try to apply E=Δmc2 and I take Δm = mass(19O) - [mass(19F)+mass(electron)]
But the solution of the problem, given in my textbook, ignores mass of electron.
I don't get the idea of why we have to leave the electron's mass when the electron is there as the product of the given reaction on the right hand side.

Book's solution:
Q = [mass(19O)-mass(19F)]c2

Moreover, going through other such questions given in my textbook I have inferred that book's solution always takes Δm of the NUCLEUS of the atoms involved rather than take Δm of the whole reaction that is given.
I think I'm missing out on something conceptual here.
Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The atomic masses usually include the right number of electrons, 8 for oxygen and 9 for fluorine.

Yes, but at the right hand side of the equation we have a total number of 10 electrons(9of fluorine and 1emitted) and on the left 8 electrons(of oxygen). So, Δm should include the change in mass DUE to change in NUMBER of electrons from LHS and RHS. But the solutions doesn't agree with this notion.

You have 9 electrons at the right side. The 8 from oxygen plus the new one from the decay.
The fluorine will be an ion until it finds an electron from the environment at some point.

Shouldn't we say that there are 10 electrons on the RHS? And you mentioned something about catching electron from environment, can you elaborate on that. Does that mean we have to subtract ONLY NUCLEAR MASSES and not the whole mass defect in the reaction given to find Δm?

hasankamal007 said:
Shouldn't we say that there are 10 electrons on the RHS?
No, there are not. You start with 8 and you produce one new. Where should the 10th come from?

hasankamal007 said:
And you mentioned something about catching electron from environment, can you elaborate on that.
This process produces a fluorine ion where one electron is missing. Long after this process happened (long on the timescale of nuclear reactions), the ion will likely find an electron, catch it and become a neutral fluorine atom again - probably as part of some chemical reaction. You do not have to care about this.

hasankamal007 said:
Does that mean we have to subtract ONLY NUCLEAR MASSES and not the whole mass defect in the reaction given to find Δm?
No. You have to take the total mass into account.

mfb, Thanks for the reply. I think I found what the problem is.
What you're saying is indeed right! We started with 8 and produced a new one.
mfb said:
No, there are not. You start with 8 and you produce one new. Where should the 10th come from?
So there should be 9 electrons on the RHS(fluorine atom would actually be bearing a positive charge). Thus, the reaction originally given is essentially NOT 'BALANCED'.
Thus, the actual 'BALANCED' reaction should be:

19O -> 19F+ + e- + v

Now applying Δm = mass(19O) - [mass(19F+) + mass(ELECTRON)]
⇒ Δm = mass(19O) - mass(19F)

which corresponds to the correct answer!
Hence, the original reaction was essentially not balanced.

Also, I wanted to ask whether an electron can contribute to the mass defect? In all the problems I've come across, electrons have never been contributing to the mass defect in the reaction.

hasankamal007 said:
Thus, the reaction originally given is essentially NOT 'BALANCED'.
Nuclear reaction formulas simply do not care about the electrons around the nucleus (with a few exceptions).

hasankamal007 said:
Also, I wanted to ask whether an electron can contribute to the mass defect? In all the problems I've come across, electrons have never been contributing to the mass defect in the reaction.
An electron is never part of the nucleus, so it cannot contribute to the mass of the nucleus. Electrons in some very deeply bound states (like the innermost shell for heavy atoms) can have a significant binding energy, however.

mfb said:
Nuclear reaction formulas simply do not care about the electrons around the nucleus (with a few exceptions).

An electron is never part of the nucleus, so it cannot contribute to the mass of the nucleus. Electrons in some very deeply bound states (like the innermost shell for heavy atoms) can have a significant binding energy, however.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is a Q-value in beta-decay?

A Q-value in beta-decay is the energy released during the radioactive decay of a nucleus. It is also known as the reaction energy and is typically expressed in units of MeV (mega-electron volts).

2. How is the Q-value calculated?

The Q-value can be calculated using the mass difference between the parent nucleus and the daughter nucleus, as well as the mass of the emitted particle. The equation for calculating Q-value is Q = (M_i - M_f)c^2, where M_i is the initial mass and M_f is the final mass.

3. Why is the Q-value important in beta-decay?

The Q-value plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a nucleus and the probability of a radioactive decay occurring. It also provides information about the type of beta-decay (beta-minus or beta-plus) that will take place.

4. How does the Q-value affect the energy of the emitted beta particle?

The Q-value determines the maximum energy that can be transferred to the emitted beta particle. The higher the Q-value, the more energy the beta particle will carry, and vice versa.

5. Can the Q-value be negative?

Yes, the Q-value can be negative if the final mass (M_f) is greater than the initial mass (M_i). This indicates that the decay process is energetically unfavorable and will not occur spontaneously.