Calculate SCFM of Helium Through SS Tubing

• Thread starter randync
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of SCFM (standard cubic feet per minute) of helium through five feet of SS tubing. The helium is flowing from a pressure vessel at 250 psig, through a pressure regulator set to 4psi, and into a compressor crankcase. More information is needed, such as the application and potential leakage, to accurately calculate the SCFM.
randync
I am trying to calculate the SCFM of helium through five feet of SS tubing (1/4" OD x .035" wall). The helium would be flowing from a pressure vessel at 250 psig, through a pressure regulator set to 4psi, and into a compressor crankcase. What, if any, other information is required to calculate the SCFM? Once I have all of the info needed, how do I calculate it? I appreciate the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi randync. Welcome to the board.

I'm afraid you haven't really provided enough information. I'm sure you have a very good reason for wanting to put a blanket purge on the crankcase, so if you could explain a bit about your application it might help.

If you're pressurizing a cranckase to 4 psi, you may have helium leaking out of the crankcase somewhere. How much leaks out depends on how well seals are working, both static and dynamic ones along with any other leak paths there might be. Crankcase pressure could also be affected by volume change, for example if you have a reciprocating compressor, the volume the piston displaces affects the overall volume and therefore the pressure in the crankcase. So I assume you're trying to maintain 4 psig by putting gas in as fast as it's escaping and there's really no way of knowing what the flow will be until you test it.

FAQ: Calculate SCFM of Helium Through SS Tubing

1. What is SCFM?

SCFM stands for Standard Cubic Feet per Minute and is a unit of measurement used to calculate the flow rate of a gas through a system.

2. How do you calculate the SCFM of helium through SS tubing?

To calculate the SCFM of helium through SS tubing, you will need to know the pressure, temperature, and diameter of the tubing. You can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the number of moles of helium, and then multiply it by the volumetric flow rate (in cubic feet per minute) to determine the SCFM.

3. Why is SS tubing used for helium flow?

SS tubing, or stainless steel tubing, is commonly used for helium flow because it is strong, corrosion-resistant, and can withstand high pressures and temperatures. This makes it suitable for use in various industrial and scientific applications.

4. Does the length of the tubing affect the SCFM calculation?

Yes, the length of the tubing can affect the SCFM calculation. The longer the tubing, the higher the pressure drop and the lower the flow rate. This is due to frictional losses and turbulence within the tubing.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the SCFM of helium through SS tubing?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the SCFM of helium through SS tubing. These include the type and condition of the tubing, any obstructions or bends in the tubing, and the type of gas being used. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating the SCFM to ensure accurate results.

Back