1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating shear centre of a thin walled section

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hey guys, I was just doing some mechanics of solids. I havent done this section at uni yet, had holidays so was just trying to go ahead a bit. But the problem is I am completely lost on shear centre. If you could help me on a question, i'd be very grateful.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataThe question is as follows:

Find the shear centre of the thin-walled section shown.
    Hint: take the thickness of the section into consideration.

2. Relevant equations

First, i think we need to find the shear flow, using I= bh3/12.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hashman: That sounds correct, so far. Show your work, so we can start checking your math.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hashman: You could start by computing the second moment of area, I, of the cross section. If you post your final answer for I, without showing your work, we can tell you whether or not it is correct. After that, write expressions for the shear flow in each segment of the cross section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook