Max Thickness and Velocity Profile of Paint on Vertical Wall | Bingham Plastic

In summary, the maximum thickness that can be sustained without vertical flow is given by: T0= Tau_0/pg. Du/dy=0 when shear stress is less than yield stress, and the velocity profile is described by: U=(−ρgy2/2μ)-T0y/μ+ρgT2/2μ+T0T/μ when thickness is larger than T0.
helppls

Homework Statement

Consider a layer of paint on a vertical wall, with uniform thickness T and a yield stress of Tau_0. (Paint is a Bingham Plastic).

a) Derive an expression for the maximum thickness T0 that can be sustained without vertical flow.b) Derive an expression for the velocity profile when thickness is larger than T0.

Homework Equations

When shear stress is less than yield stress, du/dy=0

Tau= mu(dU/dy)+yield stress

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For part A, I got (using momentum balance): T0= Tau_0/pg

Basically, the paint won't run if the shear stress does not exceed the yield stress, correct? So if the thickness is larger than the maximum thickness without vertical flow (T0), it can be assumed that the shear stress exceeds the yield stress. I'm confused at what to do from here? Because paint is a Bingham plastic and when the shear stress exceeds the yield stress:

Tau= mu(dU/dy)+yield stress

^Would I just solve this equation for U or does this question require T0 in the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Liz,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Let T be the total thickness of the paint film (##T>T_0##). Assume that the free surface is at y = 0, the wall is at y = T, and the z direction is downward. If I do a force balance on the portion of the film between y = 0 and arbitrary distance y through the film thickness, I obtain $$\tau_{yz}+\rho gy=0$$. Do you agree with this so far?

Yes, I do agree with that. It makes sense and I believe I got that from my force balance as well. I don't know where to go from here though

helppls said:
Yes, I do agree with that. It makes sense and I believe I got that from my force balance as well. I don't know where to go from here though
So you have $$\tau_{yz}=-\rho g y\tag{1}$$And, for a Bingham plastic: $$\tau_{yz}(T_0)=-\rho g T_0=-\tau_0\tag{2}$$where ##T_0## is the value of y beyond which the absolute magnitude of the shear stress exceeds ##\tau_0##
So, $$T_0=\frac{\tau_0}{\rho g}\tag{3}$$
Also, for a Bingham plastic,
For ##|\tau_{yz}|\leq \tau_0##, $$\frac{du_z}{dy}=0\tag{4}$$
For ##|\tau_{yz}|\geq \tau_0## and ##\tau_{yz}\leq 0##, $$-\tau_0+\mu\frac{du_z}{dy}=\tau_{yz}\tag{5}$$

If we combine Eqns. 2 and 5, we obtain: $$\mu\frac{du_z}{dy}=-\rho g (y-T_0)\tag{6}$$

Questions so far?

No, it makes sense to me. Would the next step be integration?

helppls said:
No, it makes sense to me. Would the next step be integration?
Yes. If you integrate Eqn. 6 from an arbitrary value of y ##(>T_0)## to the wall y = T, what do you get (taking into account the no-slip boundary condition ##u_z=0## at y = T)?

I got this:

U=(−ρgy2/2μ)-T0y/μ+ρgT2/2μ+T0T/μ

After applying the boundary conditions, is this correct?

Last edited:
helppls said:
I got this:

U=(−ρgy2/2μ)-T0y+ρgT2/2μ+T0T/μ

After applying the boundary conditions, is this correct?
No. The sign of ##T_0y## should be positive, not negative. Otherwise, OK. I wrote this equation in factored form:

$$u_z=\frac{\rho g}{2\mu}(T-y)(T+y-2T_0)$$

Now, what is the value of ##u_z## at ##y=T_0##?

Oh, oops, you're right! Wouldn't it also be zero because T0 was defined as the max thickness without vertical flow?

helppls said:
Oh, oops, you're right! Wouldn't it also be zero because T0 was defined as the max thickness without vertical flow?
There are two distinct regions in this problem:

1. The region between the free surface y = 0 and the critical distance ##y=T_0##, that is ##0<y<T_0##
2. The region between the critical distance ##T_0## and the wall ##y = T##, that is ##T_0<y<T##

Here are two multiple choice question for you:

In the region ##T_0<y<T##, the downward velocity ##u_z## is
(a) Increasing with y
(b) Decreasing with y
(c) Constant

In the region ##0<y<T_0##, the downward velocity ##u_z## is
(a) Increasing with y
(b) Decreasing with y
(c) Constant

Incidentally, for the region ##T_0<y<T##, I've re-expressed the downward velocity in a nicer mathematical form:
$$u_z=\frac{\rho g}{2\mu}[(T-T_0)^2-(y-T_0)^2]$$
From this equation, what is the value of ##u_z## at ##y=T_0##?
What is the value of ##u_z## at y = 0?

1. What is the significance of determining the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall?

The max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall is important for understanding the flow behavior and application of paint. It can help determine the optimal thickness for achieving a smooth and consistent coating, as well as the appropriate velocity for efficient and effective paint application.

2. How is the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall measured?

The max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall can be measured using specialized equipment such as a flow cup or viscometer. These devices measure the consistency and flow rate of the paint, which can then be used to calculate the max thickness and velocity profile.

3. What factors can affect the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall?

Several factors can influence the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall, including the type and viscosity of the paint, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the surface texture and condition of the wall.

4. How does the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall differ for different types of paint?

The max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall can vary depending on the type of paint being used. Thicker or more viscous paints may require a higher velocity to achieve the desired thickness, while thinner paints may require a slower velocity to avoid oversaturation.

5. Can the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall change over time?

Yes, the max thickness and velocity profile of paint on a vertical wall can change over time due to factors such as evaporation, settling, and temperature changes. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the application process to maintain consistent results.