Calculating Temperature of Radiation at t1

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation and measurement of background radiation at a given time, specifically at t1. The participants mention the use of Stefan Boltzmann law but question its appropriateness. They also mention the implications of a lower background radiation temperature on the age of the universe. The final clarification is made that a hypothetical temperature of 1.95K was used for the purpose of the question.
NebulaBilly
If there was background radiation of say 1.95K what would be the correct way to calculate the temperature of radiation at t1? Do we need to know what t1 is and also i have looked at Stefan Boltzmann law but i do not think that formula would be appropriate for what is trying to be achieved here.

Science news on Phys.org
NebulaBilly said:
If there was background radiation of say 1.95K what would be the correct way to calculate the temperature of radiation at t1? Do we need to know what t1 is and also i have looked at Stefan Boltzmann law but i do not think that formula would be appropriate for what is trying to be achieved here.
What is the significance of ANY characteristic at "t1" (assuming you mean one second after the singularity) ?

Are you talking about the CMB? If that were 1.95K then the universe would be MUCH younger than it is currently measured to be with a CMB of about 2.7 degrees.

OH. Wait. You're saying 1.95Kelvin. I stupidly read that as 1.95 thousand. Never mind :smile:

If the CMB were 1.95K instead of 2.7K then that would imply that the universe is older than we now think it is.

phinds said:
If the CMB were 1.95K instead of 2.7K then that would imply that the universe is older than we now think it is.

I just used a made up figure, just to ask the question how i would measure the temperature of radiation if i have a background radiaiton on 1.9K, its not a figure i have got anywhere i just used it for the purpose of the question

NebulaBilly said:
I just used a made up figure, just to ask the question how i would measure the temperature of radiation if i have a background radiaiton on 1.9K, its not a figure i have got anywhere i just used it for the purpose of the question
You seem to be mixing apples and oranges here. First you ask how to calculate the temperature at t1 and now you are asking how to measure the temperature now. I'm not clear on WHAT you are asking.

1. How is the temperature of radiation at t1 calculated?

The temperature of radiation at t1 is calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the total energy radiated by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This can be expressed as T1 = (E/Aσ)^1/4, where T1 is the temperature at t1, E is the energy radiated, A is the surface area of the object, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating temperature of radiation at t1?

The accuracy of calculating the temperature of radiation at t1 can be affected by various factors, including the emissivity of the object, the size and shape of the object, and the distance between the object and the measuring device. Other factors such as external heat sources or reflective surfaces can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.

3. Can the temperature of radiation at t1 be measured directly?

No, the temperature of radiation at t1 cannot be measured directly. Instead, it must be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law or other methods such as infrared thermography. This is because the temperature of radiation is not a physical property that can be measured, but rather a mathematical concept used to describe the amount of energy radiated by an object.

4. How does the temperature of radiation at t1 relate to the temperature of the object itself?

The temperature of radiation at t1 is not necessarily the same as the temperature of the object itself. This is because the temperature of radiation is based on the amount of energy being radiated, while the temperature of the object is a measure of its internal thermal energy. In some cases, the temperature of radiation may be higher or lower than the actual temperature of the object, depending on factors such as its emissivity and surrounding environment.

5. How is the temperature of radiation at t1 used in scientific research?

The temperature of radiation at t1 is a valuable measurement in scientific research, particularly in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and materials science. It can provide insights into the thermal properties of objects, their energy transfer processes, and their behavior in different environments. It is also used in the development and testing of technologies such as thermal imaging cameras and infrared sensors.