1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the coefficicent of friction

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hockey Puck is hit and starts moving at 12m/s. Exactly 5 s later its speed is 6m/s. What is the coefficient of friction? How far has the pick traveled during the 5 s?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]
    [tex]f_k = \mu_k N[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]
    [tex]6m/s = 12m/s + a 5s[/tex]
    a= -1.2 m/s^2

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]
    [tex]x = 0m + 12*5s + (1/2) (-1.2m/s^2) 5^2[/tex]
    x= 45m

Not sure how to precede. Answers are x =75m and coefficient of friction = 0.12. I apparently did the first part wrong:redface:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you're right. Your acceleration is definitely correct, and your substitution into the distance equation is correct. (To get x=75, one would put in 1.2 for the acceleration, but it is clearly decelerating!)

For the next part, use your two equations concerning the force. Put the mass in as m; it will cancel. Can you go on from here?
  4. Dec 18, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

You have the correct magnitude of acceleration, which is consistent with 0.12.

The weight of the puck is mg, and the force of friction is mu*mg = ma, so

a = mu * g or mu = a/g, and g = 9.81 m/s2.

So one has to determine how far a puck travels while decelerating at a constant 1.2 m/s2, i.e. -1.2 m/s2 acceleration.
  5. Dec 18, 2006 #4
    haha thanks for the help! Forgot that the Normal force (N) can be replaced with "mg"
  6. Dec 18, 2006 #5
    dang i could helped you with this one, we just finished are test on this. Cool
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?