Calculating the coefficient of friction

In summary: Fn = (mw+mb)*g*sinθ*cosθ... since Fn is equal to mb*g we can sub that in...us*(mb*g)=(mw+mb)*g*sinθ*cosθ...now we isolate for us and we get our answer...[us*(mb*g)] / (mb*g) = [(mw+mb)*g*sinθ*cosθ] / (mb*g)
phyz

Homework Statement

A wedge slides down a frictionless inclined plane that makes angle with the horizontal. A small block is placed at the horizontal top side of the wedge. During the slide, the block does not move relative to the wedge. Find the minimum possible coefficient of static friction µs between the block and the wedge.

Homework Equations

us=fsmax/Fn uk=Fk/Fn
Fn=mg
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i cannot seem to figure out a way to start.
the only variable that would be given is gravity and i can't seem to derive an equation that would make me find another variable. I drew an fbd but it cannot be displayed here.

Given: g=9.8m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi phyz, welcome to PF.
If you draw the free body diagram, you can see that the force acting on the wedge and the block is
F = (M + m)*g*sinθ along the inclined plane. Here M is the mass of the wedge and m is the mass of the block.
F*cosθ pushes the block in the forward direction and F*sinθ pushes the block in the downward direction.
F*cosθ causes the frictional force between wedge and the block. To prevent the slipping of the block it should be equal to...?

The purpose of drawing a FBD is so that you can write out Newton's second law for both the x and y directions. Try doing that. Remember that the acceleration of the block must be the same as that of the wedge (and of the wedge-block system, since the wedge and block can be considered one object).

thanks guys i appreciate the help.
rl.bhat i understand the equation u got and that would mean F*cosθ and F*sinθ are both components to equal fk ? and to prevent the slipping of the block it should be equal to fsmax?

how can u solve this equation tho without varaibles other then gravity?

Obviously in terms of masses of wedge, block and the angle of inclination. Write the answer in symbols.

F=(mw+mb)*g*cosθ is the force going down the ramp. therefore for the wedge to move down the ramp and the block to not slip the F=(mw+mb)*g*cosθ must be equal to the Fsmax of the block.
so...
Fsmax = (mw+mb)*g*cosθ... since fsmax is equal to us*Fn we can sub it in...

us*Fn = (mw+mb)*g*cosθ... since Fn is equal to mb*g we can sub that in...

us*(mb*g)=(mw+mb)*g*cosθ...now we isolate for us and we get our answer...

[us*(mb*g)] / (mb*g) = [(mw+mb)*g*cosθ] / (mb*g)

Finally our answer is... us = [(mw+mb)*cosθ] / mb

i hope that's right? loll :P thanks

Fsmax = (mw+mb)*g*cosθ... since fsmax is equal to us*Fn we can sub it in...
It should be
Fsmax = (mw+mb)*g*sinθ*cosθ... since fsmax is equal to us*Fn we can sub it in...
Since wedge is moving down ward, fn = mb*g - (mw+mb)*g*sinθ*sinθ.

Last edited:

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over the other by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the texture and roughness of the surfaces, the materials of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants or contaminants, and the applied force or pressure between the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is essential in engineering and design for predicting the performance and durability of mechanical systems, as well as in physics for understanding the motion and stability of objects.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect everyday life?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is responsible for the traction between our shoes and the ground, the grip of car tires on the road, and the ability to hold and manipulate objects. It also affects the efficiency and safety of machines and equipment, such as brakes, gears, and conveyor belts.