Calculating the electrical energy of a buoyant force

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential power generated by a buoyant object rising in water and the factors that need to be considered in calculating this power, such as the object's volume and weight, the liquid being plain water, and the depth. The use of Archimedes Principle is also mentioned and the importance of taking into account factors such as shape and resistance. The formula for calculating the potential energy is discussed, but further considerations such as friction and the object's speed are also mentioned.
kingsauces
Should be a simple question. Hopefully...

Buoyant object rising in water pulls on a cord attached to a generator. How much power is generated?

Object Volume = 100m2
Liquid is plain water = H2O
Depth = 100m

I understand that Archimedes Principle is the buoyant force = the weight of the displaced water. How do I convert that to KWh?

I am just looking for a very basic estimate. I am not looking to factor in shape, resistance etc ... just need to know if I have a bubble at 100m and I let the sucker go, how much potential energy it would generate.

I tried finding a formula online and it seems like it would be something that someone would create a formula for but my search turned up dry.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean 100 cubic meters for the volume. What is the mass of the object? The net upward force is the vector sum of the buoyant force (up) and the weight (m*g) of the object (down). So this net force will move the object up by 100 meters. You now have work, and if there was no friction you have roughly the potential amount of energy that you can get out. Not exactly, because your "bubble" has a speed, which means it has some kinetic energy.
If it is a bubble shape, you are going to have drag forces, roughly proportional to the square of the speed (if I recall correctly), so make it sort of a missile shape to reduce drag forces.
So you get some amount of energy calculated, then figure out how long it took to rise to the surface, then you could find out the power. But if you plan on getting your submersible back down there, that is going to take some energy.

Just some things to think about.

1. How do you calculate the electrical energy of a buoyant force?

The electrical energy of a buoyant force can be calculated using the formula: E = QV, where E is the electrical energy in joules, Q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the potential difference in volts.

2. What is the relationship between buoyant force and electrical energy?

The buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, while electrical energy is the energy associated with the movement of charged particles. The two are related in that the electrical energy of a buoyant force is the amount of energy required to move a charged object through a given potential difference in the fluid.

3. Can the electrical energy of a buoyant force be negative?

Yes, the electrical energy of a buoyant force can be negative if the charge and potential difference have opposite signs. This indicates that the charged object is moving in the opposite direction of the potential difference, resulting in a decrease in electrical energy.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect the electrical energy of a buoyant force?

The density of the fluid does not directly affect the electrical energy of a buoyant force. However, the density of the fluid can impact the buoyant force itself, which in turn can affect the electrical energy. A denser fluid will exert a greater buoyant force on a charged object, resulting in a higher electrical energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the electrical energy of a buoyant force?

One real-world application is in hydroelectric power plants, where the potential difference between two bodies of water is used to generate electricity. The electrical energy of the buoyant force is harnessed to turn turbines and generate electricity. Another application is in desalination plants, where the electrical energy of a buoyant force is used to move charged particles through a membrane, separating salt from seawater.