1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Calculating the error in <x^2> from the error in <x> (Molecular Dynamics)

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    Hi, does anyone know of an easy way to calculate the error in <x^2> from the error in <x>? I am running a molecular dynamics simulation and trying to work out the error in the fluctuation of kinetic energy <dEk> = <3/2NT^2> - <3/2NT>^2 from the error in <T>.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

You say you have the error in <T> ? Is'n that the same as ##<\sigma^2> = <(T-<T>)^2> = <T^2> - (<T>)^2 \ \ ## ?

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    Yes, I have the standard error in the mean of T but I also need the error in the mean of T^2

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

So you don't just want the spread <dEk> but also the error in this spread ? Doesn't that depend on the size of the system ?

[edit] adding: can't you use something like $${\sigma_{T^2}\over T^2 } = 2 {\sigma_T \over T} \ \ \ \rm ?$$

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5
    I think so, this is what I'm having difficulty with. There must be error in <dEk> because there is error in <T>?

7. Apr 27, 2016 #6
    [edit] adding: can't you use something like $${\sigma_{T^2}\over T^2 } = 2 {\sigma_T \over T} \ \ \ \rm ?$$[/QUOTE]
    I know of this formula but I wasn't sure if it would work with the error being in the average of T...

8. Apr 27, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I suppose you are doing something very sophisticated ?
    The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution has well-defined characteristics with 'exact' ##\sigma##. It's only when you generate samples, that the error in such ##\sigma## (determined from the sample) comes into the picture ?

9. Apr 27, 2016 #8
    Well I'm using a molecular dynamics program to determine a set of T values over time, so I get some fluctuation about the average T and I've worked out the error in the average of T. The problem is that I now need the error in <dEk> which I think needs the error in T but I'm not completely sure.. :confused:

10. Apr 27, 2016 #9

Dale

Staff: Mentor

11. Apr 27, 2016 #10
    I've looked at this carefully but I am still unsure and can't seem to find any information of whether these formulas work for errors in the mean of quantities. For example, I'm not sure that

d<T^2>/<T^2> = 2d<T>/<T>

12. Apr 27, 2016 #11

Dale

Hmm, I can't answer for certain, but when I have been in similar situations I would just generate 10000 normally distributed numbers and see if the formula works.

It probably depends on the mean, so you might try mean 100, variance 9 or something similar.

13. Apr 27, 2016 #12
    Ah that sounds like a good plan, thanks for your advice

14. Apr 27, 2016 #13

Dale

You are welcome. Sometimes a few simulations are nearly as good as a proof.

15. Apr 27, 2016 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Looks a bit like sample mean sigma ##\sigma_m## is ##\displaystyle \sigma_{\rm\ population}\over \sqrt N## and since you only have the sample it's ##\displaystyle \sigma_m## is ##\displaystyle\sigma_{\rm\ sample}\over \sqrt {n-1}##.

Fill us in on the result of Dale's suggestion ! :smile: My bet is on the simplest guess: double the relative error in T to get the relative error in T2

16. Apr 27, 2016 #15

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think using (x+ε)2 = x2+2xε+ε2 would give the answer that the error would be 2[itex]\bar{x}[/itex]ε + ε2
    But I do agree that a simulation would be the best way to confirm a result one way or another.

EDIT (CORRECTION): Since the error, ε, will be randomly positive or negative, I think the 2xε term will have an expected value of 0. So that leaves just ε2, which I think many others have already said. (But 2xε the term can increase the variance of the error greatly, depending on the magnitude of x.)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted