When exactly does error -> zero in calculus-based mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses instances where the error tends to zero and where it does not. Examples are given for calculating the volume of a sphere using discs and the surface area using rings, as well as for finding the work done by a spring and the potential energy of a chain. The conversation also suggests posting separate threads for each question and using LaTeX instead of handwritten notes.
EddiePhys
I've come across many instances where sometimes the error tends to zero but other times it does not. Let me give you a few examples.

When I calculate the volunme of a sphere summing up discs of height dy from -R to +R, the error in volume tends to zero as Delta y->0 but when I'm calculating the surface area using rings of height dy, this error does not tend to zero.
Same with a hollow cone vs a solid cone.

Uhjcs.jpg

ds is the arc length. We know ds/dt = speed = |dr/dt| since the error tends to zero.

However, in another case, particularly from Irodov's problems:
IMG_20170214_114623_01.jpg

IMG_20170214_114917_01_01.jpg

I'm trying to find the work done by the spring as the block moves from one end to the other(Yes' I'm aware there are easier ways of going about it)
IMG_20170212_221103.jpg

Here, where I think I'm going wrong is assuming the spring force to be constant in the interval dy when it can only remain constant during an infinitesimal displacement along the spring.

However, here we assume pressure to be constant in the interval Rdtheta when it really only is constant in the interval dH since it's a function of h
IMG_20170214_120429_01.jpg

And here, we assume the potential energy of the chain to be constant in the interval Rdtheta when it should be only constant in dh yet in these two cases the error tends to zero but it doesn't in the first case.
IMG_20170214_120623.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of questions. Post as separate threads. For now: number 1 looks like an error in the calculation. Can you show post it ?

This doesn't seem to be getting any replies. Have I posted in the wrong subsection?

EddiePhys said:
This doesn't seem to be getting any replies. Have I posted in the wrong subsection?
Well, as I see it, it may be better placed in the homework section and one question per thread. (And don't forget to use the template.) I understand that the photos are helpful for your drawings, but usually people don't appreciate handwriting very much. So maybe you could type it in LaTeX instead, and use photos only if really needed.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
For calculating surface area, or similarly the arc length, you need to find an infinitesimal shape that approximates the slope of the surface, not just the position.
Consider a simple diagonal line from (0,1) to (1,0). It has length ##\sqrt(2)##. If you approximate it as a staircase, and take the stair height ->0, then you get something that looks like the diagonal line. It matches the position of the diagonal line, so it gives you the correct area under the curve. But it gives you an arc length of 2. It is because you have not matched the slope anywhere. The approximate curve has a slope of 0 and infinity alternating infinitely often, whereas the original curve has a slope of -1.

Likes EddiePhys
EddiePhys said:
Strange. On my screen I do see a reply. It's called post #2 and it asks you to elaborate on your statement:
EddiePhys said:
when I'm calculating the surface area using rings of height dy, this error does not tend to zero
where I suspect it will be rather easy to point out your mistake

Likes fresh_42
Khashishi said:
For calculating surface area, or similarly the arc length, you need to find an infinitesimal shape that approximates the slope of the surface, not just the position.
Consider a simple diagonal line from (0,1) to (1,0). It has length ##\sqrt(2)##. If you approximate it as a staircase, and take the stair height ->0, then you get something that looks like the diagonal line. It matches the position of the diagonal line, so it gives you the correct area under the curve. But it gives you an arc length of 2. It is because you have not matched the slope anywhere. The approximate curve has a slope of 0 and infinity alternating infinitely often, whereas the original curve has a slope of -1.

Thanks a lot! :D Could you also please answer the other questions?

1. When does error reach zero in calculus-based mechanics?

The error in calculus-based mechanics reaches zero when the approximation approaches the true value of a physical quantity. This usually occurs when the limit of the approximation approaches the true value as the size of the approximation decreases.

2. How can I minimize error in calculus-based mechanics?

To minimize error in calculus-based mechanics, it is important to use more precise and accurate methods of calculation, such as using smaller intervals or using more advanced techniques like Taylor series or numerical methods. It is also important to double check calculations and ensure that all variables and units are used correctly.

3. What factors can contribute to error in calculus-based mechanics?

There are several factors that can contribute to error in calculus-based mechanics, including round-off error from using finite precision numbers, truncation error from approximating a function with a finite number of terms, and human error in calculations or data entry.

4. Is it possible for error to be completely eliminated in calculus-based mechanics?

No, it is not possible for error to be completely eliminated in calculus-based mechanics. There will always be some level of error due to the limitations of calculations and approximations. However, with careful techniques and double checking, the error can be minimized to a negligible amount.

5. How can I determine the level of error in my calculations in calculus-based mechanics?

The level of error in calculations can be determined by comparing the approximation to the true value, or by calculating the difference between successive approximations. It is also important to consider the precision of the instruments used for measurement and any potential sources of error in the data or calculations.