Calculating the error of a experimental results

In summary, The conversation revolved around an experiment conducted to determine the torsional rigidity of two types of wire by measuring the period of oscillations of a disk attached to the end of the wire. The formula used was [2Pi^2M(R^2+r^2)]/(t2^2-t1^2)=C. The speaker was having trouble calculating the error in the value of C, and asked for clarification on their method. They eventually came to a correct conclusion and expressed gratitude for the help received.
dannyR
hello everyone, I've completed a experiment regarding torsional oscillations to determin the tortional ridgity in two types of wire. The final result is about what is to be expected but I am having trouble in calculating the error in my C " torsional ridigity" value.

The formula used is [2Pi^2M(R^2+r^2)]/(t2^2-t1^2)=C

the experiment was done by a torquing a disk of mass M connected to the end of the wire where R is the outer radius and r is the inner radius of the disc t2,t1 are the average times of the oscillations t1 being one mass and t2 being 2 masses this is to eliminate the unknown moment of inertia of the connecting bolt used to connect the disc to the end of the wires.

so to calculate the error in c when R,r,M,t1and t2 all have small errors due to measurments either reading errors or stdevp/N^0.5 in the case of the T the periods.

i have been calculating the error in MR^2 then Mr^2 using

(dM/M)^2+2(dR/R)^2=(dmR^2/mR^2)^2=(dx/x)^2, (dx/x) for simplicity x=mR^2

(dM/M)^2+2(dr/r)^2=(dmr^2/mr^2)^2=(dy/y)^2

then to add these two errors would i get:

using dQ^2=dx^2+dy^2=x^2[(dM/M)^2+2(dR/R)^2]+y^2[(dM/M)^2+2(dr/r)^2],

where dQ would be the total error in the top line of the fraction of the formula

the bit I am unsure about is when changing (dx/x)^2 to just dx^2 let's say (dx/x)^2=Z would the dx^2 to be =x^2*Z

can someone please comment if i am corrrect so far and if not please point me in the right direction as I am adament to get this correct as it is vital i learn to do this for myself.

Thanks a lot just for reading. Dan:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's ok i continued with what i was doing and my error came out to be about right, effecting the the last numbers of significant figures.

Thanks a lot dan

What is the purpose of calculating the error of experimental results?

The purpose of calculating the error of experimental results is to determine the accuracy and precision of the data collected. It allows scientists to evaluate the reliability of their findings and make necessary adjustments to improve the validity of their experiments.

What is the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measured value is to the true or accepted value, while precision refers to how close multiple measurements of the same quantity are to each other. In other words, accuracy measures correctness, while precision measures consistency.

How is error calculated in experimental results?

Error is typically calculated by finding the difference between the measured value and the accepted value, and then dividing by the accepted value. This value is usually expressed as a percentage or a decimal.

What are the sources of error in experimental results?

There are many potential sources of error in experimental results, including human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and systematic errors in the experimental design. These errors can affect the accuracy and precision of the data collected.

How can we reduce error in experimental results?

To reduce error in experimental results, scientists can take steps such as using more precise measurement tools, increasing the sample size, controlling environmental variables, and double-checking calculations. It is also important to follow proper experimental design and conduct multiple trials to improve accuracy and precision.