1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable integral with unclear bounds

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I'm trying to solve the following problem and I am unsure about what I did:

Calculate ##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy## with ##M = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, x \geq 0, y \geq 0 \}## and ##f(x,y) = xy^2##.

2. Relevant equations

One equation I'd like to discuss comes from the script of my teacher and is:

##\int_{x^2 + y^2 \leq R^2} f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^R r \bigg( \int_0^{2π} f(r \cos \phi, r \sin \phi) d \phi \bigg) dr##

He claims that works when ##f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## is continuous and ##R > 0##. In general the conversion to polar coordinates is no problem for me, but here I'm wondering where does the first ##r## on the right-hand side come from?

3. The attempt at a solution

So at first I tried to use the equation given above without too much thinking, and I repeatedly came up with ##0## as a result. Then I tried to derive the bounds from the conditions present in ##M##, and here's my go:

##x^2 + y^2 \leq 1 \implies r^2 (\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi) \leq 1 \implies 0 \leq r \leq 1##

##r \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies \cos \phi \geq 0 \implies -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{2}##
    ##r \sin \phi \geq 0 \implies \sin \phi \geq 0 \implies 0 \leq \phi \leq \pi##
    ##\implies 0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{2}##

Is that correct? Then I solved the integral with the bounds that I found:

##\int_M f(x,y) dx dy = \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg( \int_0^1 r^4 \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi\ dr \bigg) d\phi##
    ##= \int_0^{\pi/2} \bigg[ \frac{r^5}{5} \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi \bigg]_0^1 d\phi##
    ##= \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{1}{5} \cos \phi \sin^2 \phi\ d\phi##
    ##= \frac{1}{5} \bigg[ \frac{\sin^3 \phi}{3} \bigg]_0^{\pi/2}## (I skipped the substitution part)
    ##= \frac{1}{15}##

As you can see, I put the ##r## of the equation above inside the integral, though I am not sure why it is there. Is that the correct way to tackle the problem in general?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, always glad to read your comments.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If I understand your question correctly, the "extra" r comes from conversion from an iterated integral in Cartesian (or rectangular) form, to polar form. In general, an integral of the form ##\int \int f(x, y) dx dy## becomes ##\int \int g(r, \theta) r~drd\theta##.

4. Aug 22, 2016 #3
    Hi @Mark44 and thanks for your answer. Yes that was my first question, I can see now where this ##r## comes from. :)

Julien.

5. Aug 22, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you really never seen the change-of-variable formulas for double or triple integrals? If not, you should study that material; it is entirely standard, and of great importance in future studies; it also can save you hours of work.

See, eg.,
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/ChangeOfVariables.aspx
    or
    http://math.oregonstate.edu/home/pr...ulusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/change/change.html

6. Aug 23, 2016 #5
    Hi @Ray Vickson! No I had seen them, something in my head didn't connect when seeing that formula in the middle of the script of my teacher. But what about the integral? Did I do it correctly, especially the bounds bit?

Thanks for the links. :)

Julien.

7. Aug 23, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It looks correct to me .

8. Aug 23, 2016 #7
    @SammyS That's great, thanks a lot for reviewing my work!

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted