1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable calculus mass density question

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the path C traverse part of the circle or radius 3 at the origin, in a clockwise direction, from (0,-3) to (3,0). Calculate the total mass of a wire in shape C, if the mass density of the wire is u=x^2+4y

2. Relevant equations
    mass of plate equation= double integral u(x,y) dx dy
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted the wire into polar coordinates as its a circle, with x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) and as it travels from -pi/2 to 2pi, 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi, after doing that i subbed x=3cos(theta) and y=3sin(theta) into the mass density equation (u) to obtain u=9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) and as the mass of plate equation is double integral u(x,y) dx dy I subbed the vaules into this equation but with respect to polar coordinates to get:

double integral 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dtheta dr with 0<r<3 and -pi/2<theta<2pi

solving this ended up getting 135*pi/4 -36 to be the answer, but i'm a little confused as i think i worked out the mass for 3/4 of the circle, instead of the wire and am now thinking i might need to work out a ratio for area of circumference/total area of circle and multiply by this ratio to get the right answer.

Any Help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you doing a dxdy integral? Isn't a wire a one-dimensional object?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    i'm not sure to be honest i thought it would be a two-dimensional object as it would have both a x and y direction but i am probably wrong, if it is a one dimensional object, how would i go about solving this problem?, would it just be x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and hence you would get the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, thanks for the fast reply :)

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't done any work on the problem, but the density is given as a function of x and y, and the wire follows a curved path (a quarter circle), so an iterated integral seems reasonable to me.

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My interpretation is that the wire is "infinitely thin", so is just a curved line in 2 dimensions. For that reason you need two coordinates ##(x,y)## to specify a point on the wire. The "density" ##\rho(x,y)## would then be the mass per unit length at the point ##(x,y)##; that is, the mass ##\Delta m## of a little bit of wire of length ##\Delta s## located at ##(x,y)## would be ##\Delta m = \rho(x,y) \Delta s##. But that is just my interpretation.

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

That would also be my interpretation. Otherwise I would have expected the problem to ask for the mass of a "plate" and for the boundary of the plate to be a closed curve.

8. Oct 2, 2014 #7
    yeah that makes sense, thanks for that, because of that i would only need to integrate once then and hence got x=3cost and y=3sint where -pi/2<t<2pi and then the integral: 9cos^2(theta) + 12sin(theta) dt where -pi/2<t<2pi and solving this would get you 45pi/4 -12, would this be correct or would i need to do something else?

9. Oct 2, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And, just in case anyone is still confused about 1 dimensional or 2 dimensional object, remember that even though the wire exists in 3 dimensions, it only takes one parameter to locate a point on it. That's why you use ##\vec r(t)=\langle x(t),y(t),z(t)\rangle## to describe it. Same for a surface. It exists in 3 dimensional space but you only need two parameters to describe it, so you use ##\vec r(u,v)##.

10. Oct 2, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks wrong. You should show your work in detail, because I cannot figure out how you got your answer.

11. Oct 3, 2014 #10

RUber

Homework Helper

It looks like that would be the right integral, but the bounds for theta might be incorrect. From your initial problem, you wrote "Clockwise," which would indicate a negative change in theta, from 3*pi/2 to 0.

12. Oct 3, 2014 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral is not quite correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted