Calculating using Direct and Green's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a given equation directly and with the use of Green's Theorem. The direct calculation involves substituting values and solving for the integral, resulting in a solution of 8π. The Green's Theorem calculation also involves an integral, but with different limits and a resulting solution of 2π. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of a previously made error in the Green's Theorem calculation.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Calculate the folowing directly and with greens theorem

Homework Equations

[itex] \int (x-y) dx + (x+y) dy[/itex]

C= x^2+y^2=4

The Attempt at a Solution

Directly

[itex]x= r cos \theta, y=r sin \theta, r^2=4, dx = -r sin \theta d \theta, dy= r cos \theta d \theta[/itex]

Substituting I get

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} (-r^2 sin \theta cos \theta +r^2 sin^2 \theta) d \theta+(r^2 cos^2 \theta +r^2 sin \theta cos \theta) d \theta[/itex]

[itex]=4 \int_0^{2 \pi} d \theta= 8 \pi[/itex]

Greens theorem

[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_R (G_x -F_y)dA= \int_0^{2 \pi}\int_0^2 2 r dr d \theta = 2 \pi[/itex]...? I can't spot the error!

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_R (G_x -F_y)dA= \int_0^{2 \pi}\int_0^2 2 r dr d \theta = 2 \pi[/itex]...? I can't spot the error!

I can't spot the error either because you didn't show your [incorrect] work to get ##2\pi##.

LCKurtz said:
I can't spot the error either because you didn't show your [incorrect] work to get ##2\pi##.

I have spotted it this morning. Just used wrong limits in calculation although shown correctly above. Late night concentration I guess.

Thanks LCKurtz

Related to Calculating using Direct and Green's Theorem

1. What is the difference between Direct and Green's Theorem?

Direct and Green's Theorem are two different methods for calculating line integrals. Direct Theorem involves calculating the integral directly along a curve, while Green's Theorem involves converting the line integral into a double integral over a region in the xy-plane.

2. When should I use Direct Theorem versus Green's Theorem?

Direct Theorem should be used when the curve is simple and easy to integrate directly, while Green's Theorem should be used when the curve is more complex and can be converted into a double integral over a region.

3. How do I calculate a line integral using Direct Theorem?

To calculate a line integral using Direct Theorem, first parameterize the curve and then use the formula ∫F(x,y) ds = ∫F(x(t),y(t)) √(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt, where F(x,y) is the given function and ds is the differential arc length.

4. What is the process for calculating a line integral using Green's Theorem?

To calculate a line integral using Green's Theorem, first determine the bounds for the double integral by finding the region enclosed by the curve. Then, convert the line integral into a double integral using the formula ∫F(x,y) ds = ∫∫(∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y) dA, where F(x,y) is the given function, P and Q are the components of the vector field, and dA is the differential area.

5. Are there any restrictions for using Direct and Green's Theorem?

Both Direct and Green's Theorem can only be used for conservative vector fields, meaning that the line integral must be independent of path. Additionally, Green's Theorem can only be used for simple closed curves, meaning the curve cannot intersect itself or have any holes.