Fermi energy condensed matter exam problem

In summary, the Homework Statement asks for the Fermi energy and the fermi wave number for the free electron gas at zero temperature. The student attempts to solve the problem, but does not know why the question asks for energy first. They find that integrating the density of states in energy space from zero to the Fermi energy gives the correct answer.
SMC

Homework Statement

Hello, I am preparing a condensed matter exam and I was wondering if I could get some help on the following question from a past exam paper:

Show that for the free electron gas at zero temperature the Fermi energy is given by:

[tex]ε_{F}=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(3π^{2}N)^{2/3}[/tex]

and the fermi wave number by:

[tex]k_{F}=(3π^{2}N)^{1/3}[/tex]

where N is the volume density of electrons.

Homework Equations

the previous question was to derive the density of states:

[tex]D(ε) = \frac{V}{2π^{2}}(\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}})^{3/2} ε^{1/2}[/tex]

but I don't know if I have to use that or not

The Attempt at a Solution

how I would have done it is derive [itex]k_{F}[/itex] from [tex]N=\frac{VK_{F}^{3}}{3π^{2}}[/tex] which is obtained by saying number of electrons N is equal to volume of fermi sphere over k-space volume element [itex](2π/L)^{3}[/itex].

and then state that the dispersion for a free electron gas is
[tex]ε(k) = \frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}[/tex] to get fermi energy.

but this method gives a result with the V present in the equation while the equations in the question don't have the V for some reason. Also I derived wavenumber first then energy while the question asks to derive energy first then wavenumber.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SMC - I think the [itex]N[/itex] in the question is the number of particles per unit volume. Otherwise their equations aren't dimensionally correct.

yes ok that makes sense I should of noticed that, thank you Oxvillan. but I still don't understand why it asks me to derive fermi energy before wavenumber. is there a way of deriving fermi energy without deriving wavenumber first?

or maybe the questions are just in the wrong order

Actually I would have done the wavenumber first too :smile:

But you can also integrate the density of states in energy space from zero to whatever the Fermi energy is and set that equal to [itex]N[/itex].

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your condensed matter exam problem. The derivation you have described is correct and is commonly used to find the Fermi energy and Fermi wave number for a free electron gas at zero temperature. The reason that the equations provided in the question do not have the volume term is because the volume density of electrons (N) is already taken into account. This means that the equations are already in terms of N, and do not require the volume term.

To derive the Fermi energy, we can use the expression for the density of states, D(ε), and set it equal to the number of electrons, N. This gives us:

N = \frac{V}{2π^{2}}(\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}})^{3/2} ε^{1/2}

From here, we can solve for ε to get the Fermi energy:

ε_{F} = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(3π^{2}N)^{2/3}

To find the Fermi wave number, we can use the relation between the Fermi energy and Fermi wave number, ε_{F} = \frac{\hbar^{2}k_{F}^{2}}{2m}. Plugging in the expression for the Fermi energy, we get:

\frac{\hbar^{2}k_{F}^{2}}{2m} = \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}(3π^{2}N)^{2/3}

Solving for k_{F}, we get:

k_{F} = (3π^{2}N)^{1/3}

I hope this helps with your exam preparation. Best of luck!

What is the Fermi energy in condensed matter physics?

The Fermi energy is the highest energy state occupied by an electron at absolute zero temperature in a solid material. It represents the energy level at which the highest occupied electron energy state is filled with electrons.

How is the Fermi energy calculated in condensed matter systems?

The Fermi energy can be calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function, which takes into account the number of electrons, the temperature, and the energy levels of the material. It can also be approximated by measuring the electron density of the material and using the Thomas-Fermi model.

What is the significance of the Fermi energy in condensed matter physics?

The Fermi energy is a fundamental concept in condensed matter physics as it helps describe the electronic properties of materials. It determines the electrical conductivity, heat capacity, and magnetic properties of a material and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in a solid.

How does the Fermi energy change with temperature in condensed matter systems?

As temperature increases, the Fermi energy remains constant for non-interacting particles. However, in interacting systems, the Fermi energy can change with temperature as the interactions between the particles affect the electron energy levels.

What is the relationship between the Fermi energy and the Fermi level in condensed matter systems?

The Fermi energy and the Fermi level are closely related, with the Fermi level representing the energy level at which the probability of finding an electron is 0.5. In a non-interacting system, the Fermi energy and Fermi level are equal, but in interacting systems, the Fermi level may deviate from the Fermi energy due to the interactions between particles.