marcusl said:
I agree with all the posts here except this one:
You have an extra "1" term on the right.
You're right. Poor editing on my part.
I don't see this, either.
I'd go with the expression that Jamiey1988 found.
If [itex]z \neq 1[/itex] is a complex number, then
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{N-1}z^n = \frac{1 - z^N}{1 - z}[/tex]
To verify this, write out the sum term by term, and multiply both sides by [itex]1 - z[/itex]. The terms telescope and you are left with [itex]1 - z^N[/itex].
The final answer,
[tex]\frac{\sin(2.5\omega)}{\sin(0.5\omega)}[/tex],
is interesting because it is analogous to the [itex]\sin(\omega)/\omega[/itex] (or "sinc" function) that one obtains for the Fourier transform of a rectangular function of a continuous variable.
This form is also very useful in signal processing, as it allows one to easily answer the question "how much attenuation results if I filter a sinusoidal input signal with frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] using a moving average filter (of length 5 in this case)?"
Jamiey1988's answer is mathematically correct, but whether it is the best form depends on the context. If it is homework for a signal processing course (as suggested by the "digital signal" terminology in the original question), the instructor might implicitly expect the "sin/sin" form.