Calculating the Inverse Laplace Transform for a Given Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding $f(t)$ given its Laplace transform $F(s)$ and the use of the formula for the inverse Laplace transform. The conversation also mentions using a partial fraction decomposition and a table of Laplace transforms to find the inverse transforms of $\frac{1}{s}$ and $\frac{s}{s^2+1}$. Through this, it is determined that $f(t) = 1 - \cos t$. Additionally, the conversation touches on the relationship between $f(t)$ and $F(s)$ and the various names for the formula used to find the inverse Laplace transform.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find $f(t)$ if its Laplace transform is $F(s)=\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)}$.

We use the following formula, right?

$$f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \lim_{T \to +\infty} \int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} e^{st} F(s) ds$$

But how can we calculate the integral $\int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} e^{st} \frac{1}{s(s^2+1)} ds$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find $f(t)$ if its Laplace transform is $F(s)=\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)}$.

We use the following formula, right?

$$f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \lim_{T \to +\infty} \int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} e^{st} F(s) ds$$

But how can we calculate the integral $\int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} e^{st} \frac{1}{s(s^2+1)} ds$ ? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

The usual way is to do a partial fraction decomposition first.
And then look up the resulting fractions in a table. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

The usual way is to do a partial fraction decomposition first.

It holds that $\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)}=\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s}{s^2+1}$.
I like Serena said:
And then look up the resulting fractions in a table. (Thinking)

What do you mean? (Thinking)

evinda said:
It holds that $\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)}=\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s}{s^2+1}$.

Good! (Happy)

evinda said:
What do you mean? (Thinking)

Take a look at this List of Laplace Transforms.
Can we find $\frac 1s$ and $\frac s{s^2+1}$ in it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Good! (Happy)
Take a look at this List of Laplace Transforms.
Can we find $\frac 1s$ and $\frac s{s^2+1}$ in it? (Wondering)

We have the integral $\int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} \left( \frac{e^{st}}{s}-\frac{s e^{st}}{s^2+1}\right) ds$, don't we?

So how does it help to find the Laplace tranform of $\frac 1s$ and $\frac s{s^2+1}$? I am confused right now... (Worried)

evinda said:
We have the integral $\int_{a-iT}^{a+iT} \left( \frac{e^{st}}{s}-\frac{s e^{st}}{s^2+1}\right) ds$, don't we?

So how does it help to find the Laplace tranform of $\frac 1s$ and $\frac s{s^2+1}$? I am confused right now... (Worried)

Isn't according to that table for instance $\mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac 1s\right](t) = u(t)$? (Wondering)

We can verify by evaluating:
$$\mathscr L[u(t)](s) = \int_0^\infty u(t)e^{-st}\,dt
= \int_0^\infty e^{-st}\,dt = -\frac 1s e^{-st}\Big|_0^\infty = \frac 1s
$$
can't we? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Isn't according to that table for instance $\mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac 1s\right](t) = u(t)$? (Wondering)

We can verify by evaluating:
$$\mathscr L[u(t)](s) = \int_0^\infty u(t)e^{-st}\,dt
= \int_0^\infty e^{-st}\,dt = -\frac 1s e^{-st}\Big|_0^\infty = \frac 1s
$$
can't we? (Wondering)

Ok... And $\mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac{s}{s^2+1}\right](t)=\cos{t} \cdot u(t)$, where $u$ is the Heaviside function. Right?But what do we have from that? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ok... And $\mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac{s}{s^2+1}\right](t)=\cos{t} \cdot u(t)$, where $u$ is the Heaviside function. Right?But what do we have from that? (Thinking)

Yep.
It means that:
$$f(t)=\mathscr L^{-1}[F(s)](t) = \mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac 1s - \frac s{s^2+1}\right](t) = u(t) - \cos t\cdot u(t) = 1-\cos t
$$
We can leave out the Heaviside step function, since the domain of $t$ would be $\mathbb R_{\ge 0}$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
It means that:
$$f(t)=\mathscr L^{-1}[F(s)](t) = \mathscr L^{-1}\left[\frac 1s - \frac s{s^2+1}\right](t) = u(t) - \cos t\cdot u(t) = 1-\cos t
$$
We can leave out the Heaviside step function, since the domain of $t$ would be $\mathbb R_{\ge 0}$. (Thinking)

Ah I see... (Nod)

The fact that $f(t)=\mathscr L^{-1}[F(s)](t) $ is known, right? If we would want to prove it, would we take the formula of post #1? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah I see... (Nod)

The fact that $f(t)=\mathscr L^{-1}[F(s)](t) $ is known, right?

Yep.

evinda said:
If we would want to prove it, would we take the formula of post #1? (Thinking)

As I understand it, it's really the other way around.
The inverse Laplace transform of $F(s)$ is $f(t)$ such that $\mathscr L[f(t)](s)=F(s)$ is satisfied.
Apparently the formula in post #1 is a solution found as Mellin's inverse formula, the Bromwich integral, or the Fourier–Mellin integral. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
As I understand it, it's really the other way around.
The inverse Laplace transform of $F(s)$ is $f(t)$ such that $\mathscr L[f(t)](s)=F(s)$ is satisfied.
Apparently the formula in post #1 is a solution found as Mellin's inverse formula, the Bromwich integral, or the Fourier–Mellin integral. (Thinking)

I see... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Laplace transform and is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How is an inverse Laplace transform calculated?

An inverse Laplace transform is calculated by using a table of known Laplace transforms or by using integration techniques. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function in the Laplace domain.

3. What are the applications of inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze circuits, and understand the behavior of systems in the time domain.

4. Can a function have more than one inverse Laplace transform?

No, a function can only have one inverse Laplace transform. However, it is possible for two different functions to have the same inverse Laplace transform, making it an incomplete inverse operation.

5. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided inverse Laplace transform?

A one-sided inverse Laplace transform is used when the function in the Laplace domain is defined for values greater than or equal to zero. A two-sided inverse Laplace transform is used when the function is defined for all real values. The methods for calculating the inverse transform differ between the two cases.