Calculating the magnetic field strenght at x distance

In summary, calculating the magnetic field strength at a certain distance involves using the equation B = μ0 * I / 2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance. This equation can be used for various types of currents, including straight wires, loops, and solenoids. By plugging in the appropriate values, one can determine the magnetic field strength at a specific distance from the current source. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field can also be determined using the right-hand rule.
BigShnitsel
The configuration is hall sensor --- steel rod(3mm radius) --- magnet.
Im trying to make a non mechanical endswitch for a sliding lid and want to determine on what magnets to get and how far apart the hall sensor and the magnet should be for it to work in the proper range.
The hall chip has 0,4 -4,4 mT release and operation point.

How to determine on how much the rod would suck up the magnetic field and how much would pass through etc.
Can anyone direct me to proper sources on how to calculate such stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
TJGilb said:
When you say "suck up" am I correct in assuming what you're trying to do is determine the strength of the induced magnetic field from the rod?
Can you call it induced if the magnet is glued or very near to the rod and both of them don't move?
Im just interested on how much magnetism can pass through that rod and unto that object on the other side of it if the magnet is not connected to it(a la 1mm of separation from the rod).
Or if there are thin metallic structures with a slits or holes etc obstructing the full field of the magnet , how much of it will get passed through?
Or a cuboid , long , iron rod with teeth.If i attach a permanent magnet to one end of it , how will the magnetic field be distributed on the rod etc?
Im talking pure magnetostatics here , 98+% iron objects,permanent magnets and none of them moving.

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength at a certain distance?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field strength at a distance is B = μ0 * I / (2π * r), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability constant, I is the current, and r is the distance.

How does the distance affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases by a factor of r² as the distance increases.

What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T). In some cases, it may also be measured in Gauss (G), where 1 T = 10,000 G.

How does the current affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the current. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

Can magnetic field strength be calculated for any distance?

Yes, the formula for calculating magnetic field strength can be used to determine the strength at any distance. However, for very large distances, the magnetic field strength may be too small to be measured accurately.