1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the net electric flux

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When calculating the net electric flux, we use the equation EA=electric flux. If there are multiple charges in different closed surfaces, do we use the net electric field multiplied by the area for each closed surface to solve the electric flux for a single closed object? How does this work mathematically in terms of the proof for electric flux (more specifically the one where we use a sphere to derive the equation for electric flux? (phi=Q/E)). In other words, how do we prove mathematically that the net electric flux in one closed surface is only due to the net charge placed in the closed surface?

2. Relevant equations
    EA=electric flux
    phi=(net charge)/(constant)

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe the answer to the first question is yes?

Sorry if many questions were mixed together, I had many questions on my mind.
    Thanks for any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi anonymousphys! :smile:

From Gauss' theorem (the divergence theorem), the flux through a closed surface equals the integral (over the interior) of the divergence of the field …

and the divergence will be zero (.E = 0) for the field produced by any charge outside the surface. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook