Calculating the Perimeter and Area of a Square MIKE

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a square MIKE and a point U inside it, with L as the midpoint of IK. It is stated that MU is equal to the segments EU and LU, which are both equal to 10 units. The perimeter of MIKE and the area of IULK are requested. The formula for perimeter and area are given, but the specific theorem to apply is unknown. A picture is requested and provided, with some adjustments needed. It is then determined that the yellow triangle is an isosceles and the lengths of UI and UK are equal. The line AL is perpendicular to lines MF and IK, creating right angles. The area of FULK is also requested, but the side length of
spiritzavior
1. given a square MIKE, point U, U is an interior point, L is the midpoint of IK, then MU is a segment equal to segments EU and LU which is equal to 10 units. What is the perimeter of MIKE and the Area of IULK?
2. P= 4s, A=1/2h(b1+b2)
3. P=4(20), P=80
A=1/2(10)(10+20), A=5(30),A=150
I don't know what theorem/s to apply.
Is it correct? if not please help?thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please show a picture of the problem?

ehild

I don't know how to post the picture here.

Draw a picture, save it. Writing your post, click on Go Advanced. Under the title Additional Options below, choose Manage Attachments. Choose browse and upload.
I do not know in what sequence do M,I,K,E are assigned to the vertexes of the square. Is the attached drawing correct?

ehild

Attachments

• square.JPG
    square.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 361
ehild said:
Could you please show a picture of the problem?

ehild
a little changes needed abd there are 3 segments undrawn.

here it is.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    138 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Congratulation, you could upload a picture!

My problem is that the line IULK is not closed, how can it enclose an area?

Anyway, you can determine the side-length of the square. What kind of triangle is the yellow one? What is the ratio between the lengths of UI and UK? Draw the line LU further till it crosses the side of the square at A: What angles are at A and L?

ehild

Attachments

• square.JPG
    square.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 348
thanks for guiding me here.

the yellow triangle is an isosceles.
UI and UK have the same length.
Line AL is perpendicula to Lines MF and IK, creating right angles.

and I'm looking for the area of FULK.

how do I solve this? what treorem/s should I use?

Correct.

The area of FULK? Where is F?

You need the side of the square first. The segment AL has the same length as the sides of the square. (It is parallel with MI and EK, and bounded by the parallel lines ME and IK.) If x is the length of one side of the square AU = x-10. Then use Pythagorean theorem to find x.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the Perimeter and Area of a Square MIKE

1. What is the formula for calculating the perimeter of a square?

The formula for calculating the perimeter of a square is P = 4s, where P represents the perimeter and s represents the length of one side of the square.

2. How do you find the area of a square?

The area of a square can be found by using the formula A = s², where A represents the area and s represents the length of one side of the square.

3. Can you calculate the perimeter and area of a square with only one measurement?

No, both the perimeter and area of a square require at least two measurements. The perimeter requires the length of all four sides, while the area requires the length of one side to be squared.

4. How do you convert the units for perimeter and area?

To convert the units for perimeter, you can simply multiply the length of the side by the conversion factor. For area, you would need to square the conversion factor as well.

5. What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter refers to the distance around the outside of a shape, while area refers to the amount of space inside the shape. In a square, the perimeter is the sum of all four sides, while the area is the length of one side squared.