Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the pressure of a fluid

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    Hello, This is my first post here. I really wanted to know how to calculate the pressure of a fluid with a column of the fluid on top i.e. water at the bottom of a lake or pond, for example. However I needed to do this with a change in pressure at the bottom. I know that Pressure=(density)(gravity)(height of the column), but what if the temperature changes in this system?

The question would thus be to figure out the final pressure..which I am having difficulty in finding. If anyone could provide me with an equation that would account for the change in the pressure, thus in the height of the column, please let me know ASAP.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    Change in temperature will lead to change in density(rho) and depth(h). but rho=m/V=m/(S*h) or rho*h=m/S. If S is fixed, then change in temperature will not affect the pressure, if S is not fixed, then it depends on the shape of the container.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?