Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the reactive power of a transmission line

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    I have a single machine connected to an infinite bus with the following parameters:

- Sending end power = 3.75MW
    - RL=5.18 ohms
    - XL=130 ohms
    - VS (Generator bus)=161kV
    - VR (Infinite bus)=161kV
    - Sending end voltage angle (delta) = 0.01877 (Angle which allows 3.75MW to be transferred)

Using these I want to calculate the amount of reactive power sent by the sending end as well.

I calculated it first without factoring in the line resistance (RL=0) Then got the result for Q as : **35.24kVAR**

Next I calculated it with the line resistance factored in Then got the result for Q as: **-114.77kVAR**

When the line resistance is factored in, the answers for reactive power vary immensely. And when the resistance is factored in, the sign of Q is negative indicating the generator bus is absorbing VARS which doesn't seem to make sense.

Why are they so different? What am I doing wrong?

The equations I used are here

I derived these equations using Matlab to do the algebra, so it hopefully should be correct :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2
    I did the calculation using Microsoft.Excel 2010 and the result is close to your.

If you require abs(VS)=abs(VR) the reactive power has to be 114.7 kVAr only.

In my opinion it is capacitive.

In order to preserve P=3.75 MW delta has to be 0.018831

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3
    Did you include the resistance in your calculation or no?

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

@anon6912 -- is this for schoolwork? If so, I can move your thread to the schoolwork forums.

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5
    Hey yeah, could you move it if you dont mind :)
    Thanks

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6
    Of course, I did it. The formulas in complex are as following:

VS=COMPLEX(161*cos(delta),161*sin(delta))

VR=COMPLEX(161,0)

Z=COMPLEX(5.18,130)

IS=IMDIV(IMSUB(VS,VR),Z)

S=VS*IMCONJUGATE(IS)

P=IMREAL(S)

Q=IMAGINARY(S)

8. Jun 22, 2017 #7

Ok but im still confused:

a. Its an inductive line how can it be capacitive? (is it capacitive because the terminal voltage magnitudes are the same?)
    b. and how/why does the effect of the resistance have such a huge impact on the value of Q?
    b.1 Does the incusion of the resistance make it "capacitive" in a sense somehow?

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are looking at the equations, then the answers to your questions are implicit in the equations.

If you are taking the data from #1 and putting them into a computer, then I recommend that you write and solve the equations sybolicly on paper instead.

Once you have the expression for Q, ask "what conditions other than line reactance can make Q negative?"

10. Jun 22, 2017 #9
    My mistake! It is not good to say capacitive. Since it is referred to the generator delivered power if it is negative that means the generator is underexcitated and gets reactive power from the Grid[Infinite].
    The transmission line reactive power it is :
    If Is=23 A then line reactive power it is [X*IS^2]=130*23^2=68.77 kVAr.
    upload_2017-6-22_17-22-53.png

11. Jun 25, 2017 #10
    Thanks a lot. That vector diagram makes makes sense :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted