Calculating the Recoil Shift.

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the problem involves calculating the recoil shift for the most energetic lyman line from a free H atom and for the emission of a 14.4keV gamma from a free atom of Fe-57. The equations used are E = hc / \lambda = h \nu and \Delta E = E^2 / 2mc^2. Part c was solved correctly, but there seems to be an error in part b. The result for the recoil shift for the most energetic lyman line is 1.57E-35, but it does not seem to be correct. Further help is needed to find the error.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

b) Calculate the recoil shift for the most energetic lyman line from a free H atom.

c) Calculate the recoil shift for the emission of a 14.4keV gamma from a free atom of Fe-57.

Homework Equations

E = hc / [itex]\lambda[/itex] = h [itex]\nu[/itex]

[itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still not sure I'm going about this correctly...

b) start by finding the most energetic lyman line E = hc / [itex]\lambda[/itex] = (1.981E-16)/(912A) = 2.17E-19 (this is where I think my error is). Then find the recoil shift
[itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2 = (4.72E-38)/(0.003) = 1.57E-35.

c) calculate the recoil shift directly using the mass for Fe-57
[itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2 = (207.36)/(1.89E-22)(2.99E8)^2 = 12.27MeV ...again this answer just feels wrong, how can a keV scale emission result in an MeV scale recoil?

Quite clearly I've made some horrible mistake in here, I need some help to find what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I've been able to answer part c:

((14.4keV)^2)/2(53.02GeV) = 0.002eV

(sorry for not using tex with the equation, I've been spending way too much time with C++ lately)

Still working on part b though.

What is the recoil shift and why is it important?

The recoil shift is a phenomenon that occurs when a particle or object undergoes a change in momentum due to a collision or interaction. It is important in many areas of physics, such as nuclear physics, where it can help determine the mass and energy of particles.

How is the recoil shift calculated?

The recoil shift can be calculated using the equation ΔE = (Δp)^2/2m, where ΔE is the change in energy, Δp is the change in momentum, and m is the mass of the particle or object. This equation is derived from the conservation of energy and momentum principles.

What factors affect the magnitude of the recoil shift?

The magnitude of the recoil shift is affected by several factors, including the mass of the particle or object, the speed of the collision, and the angle at which the collision occurs. In general, a larger mass and higher speed will result in a larger recoil shift.

Can the recoil shift be measured experimentally?

Yes, the recoil shift can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as particle accelerators or detectors. By analyzing the energy and momentum of the particles before and after a collision, the recoil shift can be calculated and verified.

What are some real-world applications of the recoil shift?

The recoil shift has many real-world applications, including in nuclear physics, where it is used to study the properties of atoms and subatomic particles. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), to detect and map the distribution of radioactive particles in the body.