1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Recoil Shift.

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

b) Calculate the recoil shift for the most energetic lyman line from a free H atom.

c) Calculate the recoil shift for the emission of a 14.4keV gamma from a free atom of Fe-57.

2. Relevant equations

E = hc / [itex]\lambda[/itex] = h [itex]\nu[/itex]

[itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm still not sure I'm going about this correctly...

b) start by finding the most energetic lyman line E = hc / [itex]\lambda[/itex] = (1.981E-16)/(912A) = 2.17E-19 (this is where I think my error is). Then find the recoil shift
    [itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2 = (4.72E-38)/(0.003) = 1.57E-35.

c) calculate the recoil shift directly using the mass for Fe-57
    [itex]\Delta[/itex] E = E^2 / 2mc^2 = (207.36)/(1.89E-22)(2.99E8)^2 = 12.27MeV ...again this answer just feels wrong, how can a keV scale emission result in an MeV scale recoil?

Quite clearly I've made some horrible mistake in here, I need some help to find what I did wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Ok, I've been able to answer part c:

((14.4keV)^2)/2(53.02GeV) = 0.002eV

(sorry for not using tex with the equation, I've been spending way too much time with C++ lately)

Still working on part b though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook